Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    707raider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Receptacle troubleshooting
    The last receptacle on the circuit has no power going to it. It is located outside, but is not a gfci. Thank you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 01:35 PM
    There may be a GFI located someplace in the building that is protecting this outlet, and it is tripped. Or there is a loose connection at or somewhere in the circuit.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
    If you had a GFI breaker the entire circuit would be dead so we know it isn't the breaker. There really should be a GFI receptal on the outside box so now may be the time to install one. If the connections at this last receptical are good but not hot go back to the next outlet up stream, this may be your problem area but do consider the GFI receptical.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:28 AM
    I would use an extension cord plugged into a known good circuit(with hot, neutral and ground at end of cord. Measure between Extension cord hot and bad receptacle neutral,
    GFI's when tripped disconnect Hot AND Neutral. Now Measure between Cord Neutral and receptacle Hot(Small slot)
    Summary: if you lost hot OR neutral, possibly at receptacle or box connection upstream.
    If both lost, likely GFI tripped. If Hot, Neutral, and Ground lost, then Carpenter cut through all wires(Don't ask)
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
    Simply examine the outlets wires, are they connected to the recptacles screws? Or are they the push in type in the back where you can't see? Usually the push in types are found and they are notorious for this, if there is voltage there that's it,
    If no voltage go to the next to last where there is and see if the wires feeding the dead receptacle are attached and live/have voltage.
    There can be times where voltage appears to be present but upon a load of a few amps will disappear thus proving a bad connection, maybe 1 strand of wire touching , etc.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jun 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
    Also consider that it may have just gotten wet and shorted out, take the cover off and use a voltage tester to see if you are getting power. Also check to see if the receptacle that is feeding it (if you know which one that is) has everything connected properly.
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
    OP stated no power and was last in the circuit, evidencing a knowledge of the circuits outlets and position, If the outlet were "shorted" due to water or anything else, the breaker would blow and the rest of the circuit will be dead too, not just the last one in the circuit, that's impossible.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2012, 03:16 AM
    Pay attention to the date of the original post, Sept, 2007.

I think the outlet is working by now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting for St. Regis fans [ 1 Answers ]

I bought 2 St, Regis fans for my family room. I would like to connect these two fans to switches. One switch to control the blades, the other switch to control the lights. Is this possible? If so, how is it done?

Add electrical receptacle [ 5 Answers ]

I need to install two recepticles in my garage to power a garage door opener. There is already a line runnig from the breaker box to a light that is contected to a switch. Can I run the outlet off the light? Can you give me step by step instrcutions how to do this and the materials that are...

Gfi circuit - can I eliminate one receptacle? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace a dual switch/receptacle in the middle of a GFI series - with just a switch (the dual switch/receptacle is not available in the designer color I want). Can I do this and maintain the GFI protection of the downstream receptacles?

Network troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a desktop PC (A)connected by ethernet cable to a wireless router. I have a second PC (B) connected wirelessly to the router. Both computers have been assigned IP addresses by the router. Both PCs can successfully access the internet via the router. I want to share files between them. I can...

Second HD troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, here's the skinny... Intstalled my girlfriend's HD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD) onto my computer as a 2nd HD(slave). All jumpers are set correctly, all cables are correct (not the 1st time I've done this). Everything works fine, it's detected and I do have access to it. ...

View more questions Search