Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Fluorescent light ballasts '?' -- primarily for TK
    My church has acoustical tile ceilings, and therefore is lit in the majority of areas with 2x4' recessed fluorescent fixtures. These are the types with four bulbs and two ballasts.

When they moved into this location, one of the maintenance men unscrewed one bulb in each fixture, so only two of the four bulbs would light. They left the other bulb screwed in and both ballasts connected.

My understanding is, that the ballasts are still drawing current whether the bulbs are working, burt out, or missing. So this past week I went through and disconnected one ballast in each fixture.

Did I waste my time? Is the amount of current drawn by an unused ballast significant, or negligible? If I had to guess, there were probably about 50 fixtures.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Assuming each fixture is using the typical magnetic ballast for two 34 watt T 12 lamps, each ballast alone consumes 6 watts with no lamps.

So the savings is 50 units at 6 watts each totalling 300 watts, which running for one hour is .3 Kwh at $0.10/Kwh cost of power is a savings of 3 cents per hour the fixtures are in use.

While the cost savings may not allow you to open a Swiss bank account, there is still savings, plus you now have 50 ballasts out of service that cannot catch fire or contribute any heat to the space.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Hmmmm.. . We do need a significant decrease in our electric bill, it looks like this alone is not going to do it!

I will now be turning my attention to the fact that they run the air conditioner at less than 70 degrees, because when the building fills up with people it becomes 80-90 degrees regardless.

Other than HVAC, and lights, I don't think we use much current. Our PA and instruments are only in use during service. We have a barber shop and beauty shop as part of the church, but whatever appliances they use I'm pretty sure are minimal. I think the computers are turned off when not in use.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 01:26 PM
    As far as the lighting, you should consider replacing all the ballasts to 4 lamp T8 electronic with T8 lamps. Check your area, there may be rebates available from the state, public utilities, or power company to retrofit over to energy savings lighting system.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 02:06 PM
    I do NOT see our Pastor going for that! He's not one for spending money on things he can't tangibly see an improvement from. Besides, we don't own the building.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Many renters of commercial properties put money into the building if the lease is still has a reasonable amount of time left, and esp. if they plan to stay there.

The benefit would be better improved quality lighting plus the energy savings.
    At least worth looking into the possibilities of rebates, some areas have generous paybacks.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Yes but I know how he thinks.

Our HVAC works in four zones of 1500 square feet each. Two of the zones are the sanctuary, two are offices. We get a bill for each. The sanctuary zones cost us around $250 each, the office zones $130. They keep the air on 68 except Saturday night they turn it to 60 so that it will be cooler for Sunday. It's always freezing cold when the building is in light use, and burning up hot when it's full of people.

Ideas? I suppose I should go post in the HVAC section but I've never ventured out of Electrical and Lighting.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:34 AM
    If Changing lamps not an option. At least you have immediate back up should one fail.
    I would disconnect hot to unused ballast as you have already done.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Pictures are worth many words.

Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 02:42 AM
    I don't see an EXIT sign at the door to outside.

Aren't paddle fans fun to install into a drop ceiling?

Oh and the clock is on the wrong time.

What the hell you doing there at a quarter to midnite?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 04:28 AM
    You might give Heating and Cooling a look. It is much like E&L and Plumbing with a very good professional as the forum expert.

It has been my experience many commercial spaces the HVAC is not sized to cope with large numbers of people. Maybe Northern Heat can help you get the most out of what you have.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 01:08 PM
    TK, call me sometime and I will tell you some stories about the way this building is wired. If I took pictures above the drop ceiling, or behind the light switch panel, I'm sure you would commit suicide, kill yourself, and then jump off a building. The exit signs (lack thereof) and my fans are nothing. Another church used this facility before us, one of their members must have been an amateur electrician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote control on ceiling fan with a fluorescent light [ 4 Answers ]

I purchase a Home Depot ceiling fan with a fluorescent light. I bought a remote control for the fan but it cannot control the fluorescent light. Any thoughts on how I may reconfigure the wiring to use the remote? Thanks, Dan

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Fluorescent Light Remote [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me how I can get my Hampton Bay Remote to work as I inadvertently somehow programed my light and fan fixture to go on a light delay mode for 2 hours and I cannot get the darn thing to work normally. There is also a small flickering bar with an X icon that comes on the viewing panel on...

New Fluorescent Light bulbs and their use [ 9 Answers ]

I’m sure this has been asked … but I am looking at these 13Watt replacement bulbs that are 60 Watt replacements. Now, I have light fixtures in my house, which are all labeled with Use 60 Watt Maximum. Can I use a higher Fluorescent (and hence get more Light Output) into some of my darker...

Broan Energy Star Fan Fluorescent Light and night Lite - GFI Trips [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced and existing bathroom fanlight with a new fan/fluorescent light unit. Existing circuit is on GFI breaker. Two switches provide power to unit. Shared neutral from switches to unit. After installing unit fan was fine. Light tripped GFI. Connected circuit to breaker and fan and light were...

Do fluorescent light consume extra power when turned on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having an ongoing debate with several people for quite a few years now over whether the "fluorescent startup myth" is true or not. The legend is that although fluo's consume less power than incandescents while running, fluo's consume a lot of power when you first start them up -...

View more questions Search