Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 04:14 AM
    IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing
    Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat roof where water is know to stand in several places of the roof.
    dumbwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by downrange
    Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat roof where water is know to stand in several places of the roof.
    My husband has been roofing for six years and out 20 or so roofs when the choice was either PVC of other always go with other PVC dosen't stand the length in time and we suggest building a frame over the flat roof because flat will always have problems weather the roofing company is 5years old or 50 years old soggy is soggy no matter what it will also increase the value of the property so in the futrue if you relocate the City council you could have a edge on the market. Also if you do go with build over at any pitch use a metal roof and have vents installed so the bulding can stay breathable.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 04:25 AM
    Certian-Teed makes a variety of roofing. If you are looking at a single ply rubber material, likely either it or the vinyl will last a very long time. Much of the job depends on the workmanship where the roofing seams and protrusions are sealed. Any good single ply roof should last at least 20 if not 50 years. I have done some investigation on this and just authorized having a vinyl roof installed on the flat portion of my church's roof.

I don't know large your building is, but on a very large one, a roof, sloped enough to drain well, becomes very high. I once managed a factory with a metal roof with a gentle slope. It was a huge pain with expansion and contraction opening new leaks every season change. All winter we had to leave empty spots in the warehouse under where it leaked around the heating vents.

I would ask for names of customers each worked for 5 years ago. If ones bad workmanship lead to leaks, go with the other.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 7, 2007, 07:40 PM
    As for a flat roof I've always use a rubber membrane and a fiber board underlayment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soffit and roofing [ 3 Answers ]

I am setting my truss's tomorrow and putting on my fascia board and plywood, I want to know if I need to get the fascia system on my board before I start felt paper and shingles, or if I can deal with the fascia system and soffit at a later time. But I would like to get my roof done as soon as...

Estimating roofing job [ 2 Answers ]

What's a good price to charge for labor per square on a tear off & reshingle?

Need some advice about roofing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. I need some advice on a few things I discovered while cleaning out the gutters last weekend. The house is in North Carolina, built in 1994. I’ve had it only a few years and I don’t have a history of repairs by the previous owner. It’s possible there were repairs due to hurricane...

Roofing Business Help [ 1 Answers ]

I completed a diy project recovering my flat roof and found it very easy, I have sourced a supplier of covering that would allow me to make a good profit on any installed work I do. What I need to know is what sort of insurances etc I would need, public liability maybe, and how do I get insurance...

Roofing question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it's worth a try. We had a hail storm a few months back and, now that the snow is gone, a roofing contractor has finally been able to some inspect the roof. They say it has evidence of hail damage and gave me a quote. ...

View more questions Search