Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    felkel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Background check business
    I am thinking of starting a background check business, does anyone know where I can obtain more information on how to get started, and how to market to entities such as apartment complexes?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 01:42 AM
    What is the place where you will be wanting to operate this business, please? What sort of methods will you be using in order to conduct background checks on people? Knowing those things will help people to answer your question.

I can help you a lot with marketing. But, I think that those two questions that I posted would need to be answered first. Some laws where you will be intending to operate may come into play here.
    felkel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
    I will be conducting the business in North Carolina, and I would primarily be using internet sites to obtain the information.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 11:00 PM
    I would think that what you are asking about would fall under the category of being a private investigator.

The quote below is from the following site: How to become a private investigator

Overview of the Private Investigation Occupation

A private investigator, or PI, is a person who undertakes investigations, usually for a private citizen or some other entity not involved with a government or police organization. Licensed Private Investigators often work for attorneys in civil cases or on behalf of a defense attorney. Many licensed private detectives work for insurance companies to investigate suspicious claims. Many private investigators are hired obtain proof of adultery or other illegal conduct to establish grounds for a divorce. Collecting evidence of adultery or other "bad behavior" by spouses and partners is still one of the most profitable activities that licensed private investigators perform.

Many jurisdictions require PIs, or private eyes, to be licensed, and they may or may not carry firearms depending on local laws. Some investigators are ex-law enforcement officers. Investigators typically keep detailed notes during each case and often testify in court regarding their observations on behalf of their clients. Licensed private detectives take great care to remain within the law (e.g. being forbidden to trespass on private property or break into homes) is also required, on pain of losing their licenses as well as facing criminal charges. Irregular hours may also be required when performing surveillance work (e.g. outside someone's house during the early hours of the morning).

Private detectives also undertake a variety of work that is not usually associated with the industry in the public's view. For example, many PIs are involved in process serving, the personal delivery of summons, subpoenas and other legal documents to parties in a legal case. The tracing of absconding debtors can also form a large part of a PIs work load. Many agencies specialize in a particular field of expertise. For example, some PI agencies deal only in tracing. Others may specialize in technical surveillance countermeasures, which is the locating and dealing with unwanted forms of electronic surveillance (for example, a bugged boardroom for industrial espionage purposes).

Increasingly, modern Private Investigators prefer to be known as "professional investigators" rather than "private investigators" or "private detectives". This is a response to the negative and seedy image that is sometimes attributed to the profession and an effort to establish and demonstrate the industry to be a proper and respectable profession.

The U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics published a useful article in the 2004-2005 edition of the Occupational Outlook Handbook for Private Detectives and Investigators. The guide describes the nature of private investigation work, working conditions, qualifications, employment, training and advancement, earnings, job outlook, and related occupations. If you want to become a private detective, this is a great place to begin.
    The following are links to sites concerning becoming a private investigator in North Carolina that will be of help to you in your pursuit.

Home

North Carolina Department of Justice

North Carolina Private Investigators and Private Investigation Agencies
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 11:08 PM
    As far as marketing yourself to any particular kind of entities, you would do that as any business might do. Post in the Yellow Pages of the phone book, newspaper and other news media. Personally hand your business card and an information sheet to potential customers about the services that you provide. You could also mail the forgoing information, but when trying to sell yourself as to the services that you provide, nothing beats in-person the personal contact. Bring up in casual conversation what you do for a living. Develop a website.

Like any small business it really helps if you have some kind of business plan. The following site can be very helpful in learning how to develop one.

http://www.sba.gov/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background check [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am natalija. Have a record of shoplifting and received provincial offence notice, and I plead guilty and paid the 500 Dollars, but should not appear in the court. Now I got a job offer from the private company but according to them ( a private and a very company) "once you have...

Background Check? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a theft charge. I got defered ajudification if that's how you spell it well that means I never get convicted charged and it will only say pending for a year then dismissed for two years then completely gone after 3 years. But I Want a job and I am not sure what will come up when they...

Background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Please help, how do I go about a background check on a private school for my 6th grader? I find it strange there is only 52 kids 1-12 grade?

Background check; concerned... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, For the past year I have worked in HR as an assistant. I graduated from college last year. (05) Recently I applied for a position at a big company, and rec'd the offer for a recruiting coordinator. I accepted the offer and I have about 2 weeks until I start. The company is VERY thorough...

View more questions Search