Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    upnorthman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Makeup air clarification needed
    Hey there,
    I have my furnace and water heater in a closet in my home. My home is approx. 1000 sq. ft. and has a crawl space. There is a vent on the floor which is supposed to provide makeup air to the furnace and the water heater. The vent looks like a standard floor register and I think it is six or eight inches long and two inches wide with the adjusters taken off. Well this weekend I am going to tighten up my crawl. I mean air tight!

This is what I understand and plan on doing. I will need to run a vent to the outside to provide good makeup air to my furnace/water heater. I was planning on running a six inch line to the exterior wall and putting a hole in the wall and a vent on the outside with a screen on it to keep bugs/mice out.

Based on the info. That I have provided here, do you think this will be sufficient?

Do I need a draft regulator? I was going to put one in to help keep the air out but I am confused how they work. It seems that they keep air from going out of the house and let air in as needed, depending on how the weight is set on them.

Thanks for reading and any response is greatly appreciated!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Not sufficient. You need to take 50% of your air requirements high and 50% low according to the code. If you have a attic I would drop a pipe down into the room from there then also run a low vent to the outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is needed to run air duct from furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I need to run a new air duct from my furnace (forced air, 90%) system to a bathroom. There was an existing pipe going to the bathroom, but I had to cut the pipe in order to expand the bathroom. Now I am ready to re-run the duct to the new bathroom and I have two questions. Oh, the...

Additional cold air return needed? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a 2 level condo with forced air heating. The first level is behind the garage with a 2 story ceiling and a large ceiling fan installed. The second level is above the garage and overlooks the first level. There is a single cold air return on the second floor, directly over the furnace,...

Are fresh air returns needed in a home system? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my old existing AC/heating unit and my contractor recommended not putting in a fresh air return in the system. My impression is that one is needed. Our house was built in '64 and is not air tight. I want to insure we do not have a sick house syndrome. Any educated information would...

Makeup Combustion Air for furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have just finished my basement and my furnace is now in a room about 20 x 20. I had installed double doors (solid not vented) to enter the room which is also being used for storage. My question is do I need to add some kind of makeup air for combustion by installing a grill in the wall? ...

Mineral Makeup? [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently heard about this. What do you know about it and what brands are best? Thanks

View more questions Search