Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    info_seeker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Need info on filling W4 form, currently on H1B
    Hi, I am really confused about how to fill my W4 form so that I do not over pay taxes. My status for the year 2007 is as follows:

Jan'07 - Oct '07 - OPT
    Oct '07 onwards - H1B
    Marital Status - Single
    Citizenship - Indian
    Presently Living in NY city but will be moving to Jersey city sometime this month.

I have following specific questions:

1) I recently found a job, and my employer has strict policies and so I am not able to speak to the payroll department. I am aware of the fact that on OPT a person has to pay less tax, but how can I convey this to my employer's payroll department (or on W4) so that they do not deduct my full tax.

2) Considering my marital and resident status, what all exemptions can I claim on W4 in order to avoid overpaying. Also, are there any investments that I can make to avoid paying huge taxes, considering the fact that NY tax rate is very high. My salary range is between 70-80k.

3) I will surely be moving to Jersey city sometime this month, and I am aware of the fact that Jersey city resident do not pay NY city tax. I have decided upon the place where I will be moving, so I have the exact address with me. So on the W4, should I put my Jersey city address or the NY city address where I am currently staying. If I put NY city address, my employer will deduct the city tax from my upcoming biweekly paycheck.

4) I was unemployed until 06/27/07 and then I found a temporary job. Now I found a full time job, and so what will be my status when I file my tax. Will I be eligible for a refund since I did not work for over half a year.

I will really appreciate if someone can reply these questions, as I have been trying to find the info over internet and am not able to find anything.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
    1) Send a polite email stating that, while on OPT, you are considered a student in EXEMPT status and not liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

2) Claim SINGLE status. Fully fund your 401K; if not 401K, the n open a traditional IRA for yourself and YOUR wife.

3) Yes, put your NJ addressand have NOTHING withheld for NJ.

4) Probably!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W-2 Tax form Info. [ 1 Answers ]

What do ido with the NYSDI info on my W-2 form.:

NYSDI info on W-2 form [ 1 Answers ]

What do I do with the nysdi info on my W2?

H1b status and filling 2 dependants. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a H1b since 2004, but in 2006 a moved with a girl and she has 2 kids, she didn't work the entitle year, so I supported her kids financially the whole year in 2006, My question is, Can I file my taxes and put the kids as Dependants for 2006 with my H1b status? Thanks,

Filling wrong form of taxes help! [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know what will happen if they gave a 1099 Misc, and instead I filled out a W2..? Answer me as soon as possible!! Please

View more questions Search