Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countrybumpkin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Tile won't stick to concrete slab
    We are re-modeling our bathroom in a 27 year old home. Have tore up the cement bed in the shower, replacing our shower liner and then pouring our mortar mix. When starting to lay the tile down, we find that our pre-mixed adhesive is not holding the tile down very good. It seems as though the mortar mix has a lot of sand in it. Can you please help me and tell me what we need to do.
    peaden1711 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Try using a premixed thinset . Make sure that you vacuum motar bed real good!
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Sep 5, 2007, 12:09 PM
    There is a latex additive available to push the adhesion value up - ask your home center guy for it.

to rate this answer - as 15 good recommends gets you a full tank of gas... Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Wire brush and vac your bed. I think the mortar may have been too dry or not properly troweled.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
    I know this problam, if you use any tile bigger than 4 or 6" tiles the premixed mortar will not dry, even if you wait a few days it will still be wet. You'll have to pull up the till and use thinset mortar, there are 2 types a white and grey, either will work, if you use a light grout use the white if its dark use grey,
    peaden1711 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Not really I have used premixed on 12"tile on wall and shower floor and never had any problem with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Removing a Shower Tile Pan on a concrete slab (Basement) [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove a tiled shower pan from my shower in the basement. I am planning on replacing the floor pan with a pre-fabricated version. I am presuming that I remove the existing tile with a chisel and hammer, my concern is how do I make the area level once I...

Peel and stick tile [ 4 Answers ]

How can I keep my peel and stick tile from popping up? I've tried sticking more glue on the back of the tile, but that does not work. It is being put on 1/4 plywood subfloor.

View more questions Search