Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horse3301 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Engagement rings
    Does a woman in Virginia have to get back an egagement ring back?
    horse3301 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
    In Virginia does the wman have to give back her engagement ring?
    lauder21 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Does it matter where you're from? I think it's your own personal decision. I have my engagement and wedding ring from a previous marriage still, and I never really planned on giving them back.. Maybe it was because it was 'our' money that bought them, rather than just his.
    Either way, I think both answers are both socially and morally correct, don't fret. :)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
    I think typically it goes, if he broke it off, its hers to keep, if she broke it off, its his to keep, and if it was decided together, then its up in the air...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 11:57 AM
    I don't understand keeping it - it isn't as if you are going to wear it, correct?

Sep 5, 2007, 11:58 AM
    But is he?
    peaden1711 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Don't worry about it , that just means that every time she looks about it she will remember what she don't have . Its only money!
    peaden1711 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2007, 12:32 PM
    But Very True

Sep 5, 2007, 12:34 PM
    For who? I'm confused. Although I think I'm reading your statement as saying someone (or me, I'm not sure if you were referring to anyone or me?) would look at them and be 'sad' or regretful that she is not with the person anymore..
    So I may just have read into it differently then you meant. Oh the joys of expressing on the internet, lol!
    Jelybn22 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2007, 10:13 PM
    In the state of NY a woman has to give back an engagement ring if the couple never got married. If the ring was given to her as a gift (Birthday, x-mas, valentine's day) She gets to keep it

Hope this was helpful
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelybn22
    In the state of NY a woman has to give back an engagement ring if the couple never got married. If the ring was given to her as a gift (Birthday, x-mas, valentine's day) She gets to keep it

Hope this was helpful

This is only partially correct - some Courts have based whether the ring "goes back" on who broke the engagement. He calls the wedding off, she gets to keep the ring; she calls it off, it goes back.

Also basic contract law is sometimes used - mutual agreement to marry and the ring is part of that contract. She receives the ring, the contract is broken, the ring goes back. Under this concept the gift of the ring is conditional - it's not really yours until the marriage ceremony; until then he owns it and you are wearing it.

Obviously if the ring is a clear gift in lieu of another gift (birthday, Christmas) the woman gets to keep it but this is often very difficult to prove.

I had a broken engagement; I returned the ring - I didn't want the reminder, I would never have worn it, I considered it his because the engagement was broken.

What is your level of comfort here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Magic rings [ 5 Answers ]

How do magic rings work?

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

Mood Rings [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me the colors of the mood rings and what they mean?:D

Busted rings [ 1 Answers ]

Is it easier to replace the rings or is it easier to put a nem enginge in a 12.5 hp briggs and stratton engine on a murry riding lawn mower

Mood rings [ 1 Answers ]

How do mood rings work? I know someone who actually thinks they're powered by witchcraft! I say it must be a chemical reaction to the heat of a person's body or the atmosphere. Is it chemical, and, if so, what is/are the chemical/chemicals used?

View more questions Search