Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orangeknight Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Shock from Desktop Computer
    I have been getting small shocks from the case of my desktop computer,(especially the screws that hold the cover on). Where can I look to correct this problem? I have tried changing cords and plugs, and this does not seem to help, so I would guess that it has something to do with the computer itself?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 5, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Hmm, that's a tough one. I would first make sure you use a surge protector, and see if that takes care of it, you never know.

If not, I'd probably check the motherboard. Usually there are little plastic clips, they've got kindof an arrow on one side, so they can go through the holes in the motherboard, and basically just a little plastic separator on the other side, to keep the motherboard from touching the case. Check to make sure that if you have those, they're all in still, and that the motherboard isn't touching the case.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeknight
    I have been getting small shocks from the case of my desktop computer,(especially the screws that hold the cover on). Where can I look to correct this problem? I have tried changing cords and plugs, and this does not seem to help, so I would guess that it has something to do with the computer itself??
    Have the receptacle tested. You may have a loose wire (ground)
    Or you can get your own tester at RadioShack for around $10 or so, and test all your outlets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop to Desktop Computer- how do I share files [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know how to setup the laptop so it can share and get files from my desktop.. I know you have to set directories to share but I can't remember how to do the whole thing. Thanks Marv

Electrical shock [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new roof & vinyl siding put on my home. The guys doing it got shocked while on the aluminum ladder which was leaning on the gutter. Got any ideas why?

Sugar shock [ 2 Answers ]

I have a long coat chihuahua named Louie. He is just 10 weeks old an such a sweetheart. But he has a problem with low blood sugar. I took him to the vet because he had suddenly become sick overnight. He was perfecty fine and playful before bed and in the morning he could not lift his head. The...

Connecting a GPS to Desktop Computer [ 1 Answers ]

How can I have my desktop computer communicate with my GPS? My computer is a Dell Dimension 8200 running windows XP version 5.1 with SP 1. My GPS is a Garmin eTrex Vista that needs to connect to the desktop to upload & download information from MapSource (v 4.07) software via a serial cable. ...

View more questions Search