Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    immargo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Old newspapers
    I have some old newspapers from the 1930's and 40's which contain historical value about what was happening during that time in history. I don't want to touch them or move them around too much as they may fall apart. Any suggestions as to how to preserve these papers?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 10:47 AM
    I haven't personally tried any of these methods but give it a try on a not so important bit of newspaper as a test. Hope these help you.
    ------------------
    Hobbies : How To Preserve Old And Brittle Newspaper Clippings :: Free Article by MalaMaal.com
    How To Preserve Old And Brittle Newspaper Clippings

Dissolve 1 milk of magnesia tablet in 1 quart of club soda.

Let stand overnight

Stir well and pour into a shallow pan

Lay newspaper clipping flat in pan and soak for 1 to 2 hours

Carefully remove and place on soft towel to dry
    The clipping will remain preserved for several decades.
    ------------------------------
    Ancestry.com - Preservation of Your Paper Treasures
    Newspaper Clippings
    The preservation of old newspaper clippings can be difficult. There are several reasons for this. Most important, modern newsprint paper stock was never intended for archival usage. (Some of the paper used in old 19th century newspapers was, however, made with rag stock and has endured for many decades.) Modern newsprint tends to disintegrate quickly. Have you ever left a newspaper in the sun for a short period and noticed that it had yellowed? It was actually disintegrating. Add moisture and you have a recipe for extremely rapid deterioration. There are, however, several things you can do to preserve newspaper clippings and/or their content.

1. Make Copies Immediately
    Photocopying newspaper clippings admittedly exposes them to a dose of bright light, and light is an enemy of newsprint. However, if you are interested in preserving the content of a newspaper article or clipping, there can be no substitute for a one-time exposure when the clipping is new. Make sure you are copying onto acid-free, archival-safe paper stock. Once done, you will then have a backup copy on a more stable type of paper.

2. Store Them Separately
    Never store newsprint with other documents. The acidic nature of the newsprint may contaminate other documents. Stored against another document, over time you will observe the yellowed silhouette of the clipping on the other document, perhaps even with some of the printing bleeding onto the other document. This is an excellent example of acidic transfer. Even storing newsprint and other, acid-free documents in the same container over time may contaminate the acid-free papers and damage them.

3. Store Them Safely
    Selecting the proper storage medium and the proper place is essential to preserving newsprint materials for long periods. Heat, light and moisture are detrimental to newsprint, so make sure you choose a cool, dark, and dry place for the storage of these items. Make certain you store the items in acid-free, archival-safe materials. Your best choice is to place these flimsy, fragile clippings inside another container for storage. Don't rely on common business envelopes and manila file folders for this purpose. Depending on the manufacturer, these items may not be acid-free, and may ultimately destroy the newsprint. Polypropylene sheet protectors are great for this purpose.Check with a professional stationery printer or a reliable office supply store for acid-free envelopes, folders, or sheet protectors. Store your clippings in these materials. Also, once you have sheathed the materials, you may want to store them vertically in binders or flat in the archival storage boxes used for photographs. There are a number of companies that provide quality, archival-safe storage containers. (See the list below.)

Professional conservators also use acid-neutralizing sprays on some newsprint materials to stop the acidic decomposition. Professional framers, for instance, neutralize acidic decomposition of art prints that have been mounted using poor-quality matting. Check with a professional art framing company or with the conservators at your state archives for advice.
    ------------------------
    How to Preserve Newspaper Clippings - Associated Content
    Newspapers eventually yellow, and depending on the conditions in which they are stored, they can completely deteriorate in time. Light, humidity, insects, and a host of other environmental factors can ruin newspaper clippings, and important newspaper articles that highlight special events in life can be lost forever. It is possible to preserve clippings of sporting events, wedding announcements, engagement announcements, awards, and any others you wish to keep indefinitely.

Don't lose important papers to the ravages of time. You can preserve newspaper clippings indefinitely, and taking the time to properly preserve newspaper articles of interest is well worth the effort. The following information provides simple step-by-step instructions to help you preserve your special newspapers. Decades from now, loved ones will be able to read newspaper clippings that look just as good as the day they were printed because you took the time to preserve them.

Craft Glue Preservative
    Ordinary white craft glue is good for more than simple craft projects. You can use clear-drying white glue to preserve all of your special newspaper clippings. They will be stronger with a coating of glue, and they won't turn yellow as time goes by. Practice this easy technique on scrap clippings first so you can see how they'll turn out before using glue to preserve your important papers.

Carefully apply a thin layer of white craft glue to the front of newspaper clippings, and use care not to glue them to your work surface. In an effort not to glue the clippings to your work area, cut them out a few millimeters larger than desired, and don't apply the glue near the edges. After the glue has dried, trim the papers to the appropriate size. Although it isn't necessary, as an extra measure of preservation, the backsides of papers can also be coated using the same simple process.

Preserve Papers With This Simple Solution
    Another solution to preserve newspaper clippings involves combining 1 tablespoon of Milk of Magnesia and 1 pint of regular club soda. You'll also need a quart-size mixing bowl, a spoon, a shallow baking pan, and paper toweling. Once this strange combination of liquids dries, it will everlastingly and effectively preserve newspaper clippings.

In a shallow baking pan, thoroughly combine 1 pint of cold club soda with 1 tablespoon of Milk of Magnesia. Place the newspaper clippings you wish to preserve in a single layer, and allow them to soak in the mixture undisturbed for approximately 1 hour. Spread paper towels on your work surface, and carefully place the wet newspaper clippings on the toweling. Place another layer of toweling over the newspaper clippings, and gently blot them to remove excess moisture. Allow the papers to continue drying on a clean flat surface to forever preserve them for years to come.
    ----------------------------------------
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Excellent research and post above! Lists the sources and is also easy to read because of the formatting done in the post!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 11:23 PM
    Thanks Clough...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Thanks Clough...
    You are most welcome! Excellent job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Articles at Newspapers [ 4 Answers ]

I believe and think that I can write some good articles about various things shaping our world and lives... I'm not a journalist but I always feel that I have writing skills in me... I just want to know that which newspapers or magazines help new writers to publish their thoughts.. I really want...

View more questions Search