Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gambitt7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Lower Left Back and Side Pain
    Hi Everyone –

I am having some odd symptoms and hope someone can lend some insight or have had similar experiences which they can share.

Here’s the details; I have felt weak and sluggish in the past weeks, although feeling better now in that sense I have developed medium to intense level pain in my left lower side and left lower back. The pain or soreness starts at the last few lower ribs on the side and maybe a little higher in the back down to about belly button level on the left side and back and its really sore in between the top and lower areas just described. This back/side pain started maybe 5 days ago tops (today is day 6).

The pain isn’t constant, only when I cough, breathe deep, sneeze, bend over or flex the area, or when trying to lay down it is almost impossible to get comfortable; when laying down I can’t seem to move at all without major pain and often “get stuck”; I can’t move around when laying down without pain. If anyone puts any pressure on the area or bumps the area it hurts intensely. This is medium to high grade pain, I’d rank it 7 to 8 on the pain-o-meter. A good sneeze took me to my knees earlier and made my eyes water up.

I did have a low fever of around 100 last night and was getting some headaches a few weeksago (I believe the headaches were sinus-allergy related.) Also, early to mid last week my stomach was kind of yucky and I fasted or ate / drank less than usual for the week and felt a little de-hydrated by end of the week. Saturday/Sunday had unquenching thirst and literally drank tons of fluids. Presently, I feel OK, I do have low-grade fever, but don’t feel sick.

I haven’t taken a hit or blow in the area, I have had cracked ribs before and yeah this pain is similar but like I indicated I have not injured the area or anything. I do notice when bending over the pain seems to be under the muscle layers, its almost feels like there’s something hard or swollen under there, I can’t really tell. Looking at my torso there is no bruising or big red spots or anything, it pretty much looks normal. It may be a little swollen or pink on the sore side, but the difference is almost un-noticeable.

As far as urinating, seems to be OK, no constant having to pee or dribbling pee or anything. And it is clear (not cloudy) and bright yellow, no blood or pain when urinating and stools are good too.

Also, I don't drink or take drugs and am 47 years old.

I just started a new job and medical benefits will kick in shortly. It’s a hard call for me to run to the emergency room as I am not sure if this is life-threatening or what. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be going on here…?? All responses are welcome.

Thx - Gam
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Sep 5, 2007, 07:16 AM
    I would say that I don't believe your back symptoms are directly related to the others. It sounds like you've pulled a muscle. You may have done this while coughing, sneezing, etc... As for the other symptoms, I can offer no explanation other than you may have caught a slight cold or something similar.

I had pain like this in my chest one time, the nurse thought I might have a partial collapsed lung. I could hardly breath, it hurt like hell, and my chest would crack when breathing. It turned out I pulled a muscle in my chest, without actually doing anything that could have caused it. To this day I still have no idea how I did it.

Anyway, I would just wait it out, it really sounds like your fine. Perhaps someone else has other thoughts, but that's my advice.
    CyberEd55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 11:45 PM
    gambitt7

I'm glad to see I am not alone in the world with the same symptoms. Mine have been going on for my second week now and is not much better. I do find relief in sleep in a recliner over the bed. A lot less pressure. My first thoughts was Kidney Stones or Infection so I did the whole cranberry juice thing and lots of water but it didn't seem to help or make even a bit of difference. That's why I started checking out websites to see if I could find the root of the problem. Here's to hoping we both find our answer on this site soon...

Ed
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
    symptoms of kidney stones-you need an X-ray of the kidneys and lower back-you need to ask your doctor specifically to check this. No blood in the urine-means nothing kidney stones do not always present with this symptom. Anyway cranberry , water etc also will do nothing (in some cases)-until there is blood in your urine, this is because the stone is within the ureter-scraping and scarring the tube this leads to blood in the urine..

fever and sluggishness and sharp colicky pain in the mid to lower back on one side is TYPICAL of this problem.

I have and have had kidney stones-I'll bet that this is your problem-get the x-ray ASAP to either exclude or confirm the problem.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
    If you have any breathing problems, I'd consider pneumonia or a pulmonary embolus, and would seek help asap.

If you are having diarrhea or constipation,nausea, I'd consider diverticulitis - rest, soft to liquid diet. If fever and pain get worse , seek help asap.

A pulled or strained muscle should gradually get better.

As stated above, a kidney stone with or without a bladder/ kidney infection is a possibility , though I'd expect more urinary symptoms.

If your female, a pelvic infection or ovarian cyst may be the cause.

I hope that by the time you read this, you have already recovered.

Grave and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in lower left abdomen [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having pains in my lower left abdomen where my ovaries are. When I sit down, walk, have sex, even move wrong. What could cause this?

Pain in lower left leg [ 3 Answers ]

About a week ago I went paintballing, 1 hit me on my left shin bone, the bruise is going but I now have a pain in my lower left leg that is activated by movement or by putting pressure on the top outer part of my shin (not where the paint ball hit) its not a bruise pain so I was just wondering if I...

Pain in my lower right side of my back [ 4 Answers ]

Im female and I'm experiencing a pain in my lower right side of my back.and I don't think it's a kidney infection because it doesn't hurt when I go toilet.. my back hurts when I move about and it's a bruise type pain that affects me.. I haven injured my back or anything and I haven been playing...

Lower left abdominal pain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My husband and I decided a few months ago that we wanted to start trying to get pregnant. I am 27 and he is almost 28. Since we starting trying... it seems that he is unable to "finish". Lately, he has been having pain in his lower left abdomen during intercourse, which causes us...

Lower pelvic pain on left side that shoots down thigh [ 2 Answers ]

I am experiencing lower pelvic pain on my left side that shoots down my thigh sometimes. I also have lower back pain that is similar to back pain that comes right before my period.I have had this back pain for going on two weeks but the pelvic pain is new. I am on the pill so I should not be...

View more questions Search