Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlharris1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 06:58 PM
    The bank accessed our personal account
    I have an LLC that is now in chapter 11. It is current on Interest payments and loan payments. But, the bank took funds from our personal account to cover a shortage that may happen at a later date. They did not have a jugdement against us. They did not get permission from anyone including a judge. They did not notify us they were doing this.

Can they legally do this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Doesn't sound like it, unless you linked the accounts. Sounds like you may need an attorney.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Sep 11, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Go back and read your loan note and related docs. Every loan note, unless specifically excluded, allows for the right of setoff, meaning they can take money from your account(s) to cover past due payments, pay for insurance coverage if needed, or make up shortages on real estate escrows, etc. They don’t need permission or have to notify you, and set off is only done as a last resort when the borrower won’t pay. Taking money for future problems seems like a reach especially as the loans are current. Unfortunately, banks are now using very broad language in the right of set off, meaning if they feel there is any hint of a problem( in this case C/11) they can take steps to protect themselves. If this language is not in your loan docs, you have a case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account [ 4 Answers ]

Can I get a bank account after the bankruptcy has been granted?

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Joint bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be moving to florida soon, I plan to open up a bank account. Question is, my father will be moving down also, but for the mean time i was wondering is there any way i can have a joined state-to-state back account with him, or is there some way i can put money in, and he can fully access the...

Finding info about personal bank account [ 4 Answers ]

Lets say I return an item at a retail store and the refunded money goes directly to my personal bank account/credit card, can the owner or manager of that store legally find out the name of the account holder, going by the account numbers that they have in their computer system for that return?

View more questions Search