Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    O_SB79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2004, 05:27 AM
    Explorer.exe using 99% of memory!
    Whenever I try and open my music folder, things start going VERY slow. Task manager shows that explorer.exe is using 99% of the CPU to try and open the folder.

Around the same time this started, windows media player went on the fritz.

Also, when I try and uninstall recently installed files, an error pops up saying that the files are being used by another application.

I have run Spybot, and have Ad-aware pro - but to no avail.

I am at my wits end here and have NO idea what the hell is going on. Anybody out there no what is going on?

alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2004, 04:33 PM
    Re: Explorer.exe using 99% of memory!
    G'day, I say best bet, grab a sledge hammer and give it a few good hits, that should fix it ;D

Sounds like your running a dodgy version of windows.
    Nows if you've got XP pro/hme, and you've just put on SP 2, then that's prob the prob!! Microsoft Suxs~
    If you haven't already got SP 2, don't! JUst keep SP 1a, and make sure your up to date with all the latest OS & security patches.
    Go to : www.trendmicro.com <---- Here you'll find a free home PC scan, trend are the best in IT security. They're live so they are always aware of what's out there.

O_SB79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2004, 05:06 PM
    First of all thanks for replying...

I do in fact have XP pro and I downloaded SP2. Funny, but you aren't the first person I have seen dissing SP2. What is the deal?

Being that I have SP2, how can rectify the situation? Do you recommend uninstalling it, or possibly something else I can do?

alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2004, 11:10 PM
    Nu worries matey, well I'm in the process of trialing SP2 at the moment, lets just say it can be more trouble then its worth.
    I work for Gov so we are abit sceptict about SP2. Well now that you've got it you mite as well keep it. You'll find thou you'll need to update drivers for various Graphics drivers and patches.
    If it gets bad, then there's a build in roll back feature in XP which allows you to roll back your service pack. Or you can just uninstal it make sure the firewalls up, and you have the latest virus scan. Then you'll need to get all the patches again.
    Its up to you at the mo until further testing has been carried out.

Regards~alicka alota

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet Explorer memory [ 3 Answers ]

I keep getting an error that states there is not enough memory assigned to internet explorer. I am on a macintosh G3. How do I assign more memory?

Pny memory [ 5 Answers ]

Has any one had any experience with PNY memory? I saw Tiger Direct had some on sale for a good price. The reviews aren't so good. Many incompatible problems. I have a emachines t3882. There website said it could take 400mhz pc3200 512mb ddr memory. I haven't looked inside my machine yet to see what...

Explorer.exe is using 15,000K to 22,000K Memory, and up to 99%CPU usage [ 2 Answers ]

I do not use explorer for internet browsing, but when I am using windows explorer to select a file to open-- it freezes up at times. Sometimes it keeps going, but very, very, very slowly. The lowest that Mem Usage drops to is 15,000 and that is when only Task Manager is open, otherwise it is at...

Not enough memory [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, sometimes when I attempt to connect to a web site, doesn't matter which one, I get a message that says not enough memory to run this program close one or more programs. If I do C/A/D to see what is running, the normal stuff is there and then Webshots, webshots all the way down the little...

View more questions Search