Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mister2939 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Drywall Mud bubbles
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to this forum, great tips and ideas from what I can see.
    I am applying Sheetrock 90 as my drywall mud, as I apply it tiny bubbles appear in the mud. The bubbles are forming, not being applied. Would this be a water quality issue when mixing the compound. I am doing my final coat, and have thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed to ensure no remaining dust..
    Thanks very much for all your help.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 4, 2007, 02:27 PM
    This is normal. Lol but let me tell you , for a final coat your really need to be using the mud in the green lid bucket, for gerneral use drywall.
    As for the bubbles, make sure you mix the drywall mud with a mixer not just with a stir stick, once you put the mud on the wall and float it out smooth as you can, give it a few minutes and dry trial it again, this will take most if not all the bubbles out. Its really nothing your doing wrong. With experience you want have those problams. The quick dry ud isn't always the best to learn with either,
    If you can't get this to work just bhy regular mud and you want have any bubbles, just the dry time will be longer
    Mister2939 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Thanks for the help Glavin, much appreciated.
    I have used reg mud before, but it has been awhile. Was used to using the fast drying mud so figured I would use it for my final coat. I have a box of the reg mach mud and will give it a try.
    I have been using a correct mixer to mix up the sheetrock 90, works real well. Is there any downfall for using the sheetrock 90 on final coat?
    Thanks again for your help.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 4, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Your welcome,

Unless I'm pushed for time I still use reg mud for all three coats. I don't like sanding for one, and its just easier to smooth out,

If I need to gain an extra day though ill use the 20minute mud for the first 2 coats then reg mud for the final. Good luck
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 9, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Usually too much water and over mixing gives you the air bubbles.
    Gemm Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Hi A drywalling friend told me an old trick To add a few drops of dish soap to the bucket and mix it good, Drill and paddle or for small batches use an old blender bubble free mud! Not sure of ratio is 3-5 drops per 5 gal bucket search see if you can find any other links on how to
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Sep 12, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Air bubbles are formed from mixing at a high rate of speed
    Slow down drill
    If you use a light weight compound for the finish you should try to cover all compound areas
    So it will sand out ever, 90 min drys much harder

Primer / paint
    Primer with a 3/4" nap roller cover to blend all areas
    Finish coat with 1/2 or 3/8
    Please rate my answer

Get r done:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mud Floor Showerpan [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting in a custom shower on an existing cement slab. I already have by drain stub up, what kind of morter can I use for the shower pan? Thanks Everyone.

Mud in the ear! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 airedales, one of them has developed a pain in the ear! He has what I heard on a search for such problems as a muddy like substance in his left ear. I was able to gently q tip it out but its still stinky and it is very tender. I see no raw or abnormities on the ear flap. Did I read...

Concrete slab on mud [ 2 Answers ]

Last week I had a local concrete company form and pour a monolithioc slab for a garage. The ground was soft top soil and I was concerned about it being soft. It did later compact an was very hard, but then it rained and was a big soupy mess. They came on out and covered it with plastic and poured...

I'm in a big mud puddle - not sure what to do. [ 8 Answers ]

I have really been unexperienced when it comes to intamacy - I have no idea why - I always had a low-self esteem thing going. My friends say that I'm not a bad looking guy, so I really am not sure why I struggled in this department, but the oppurtunity never arrised or I never took enough risks....

View more questions Search