Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostinOhio Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Bankruptcy w/Divorce Can I get her name off the house without refinancing?
    Ok my wife and I are currently filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, and planning a dissolution of the marriage. The house is in both of our names, is there any way to remove her name from the deed/mortgage (with her consent) without refinancing? If not, what are the odds of being able to get the refinancing after the bankruptcy? And would I be better off just putting the house into the bankruptcy instead? I would like to keep the house, and she's OK with that. But, understandably, she does not want her name on it any longer. It's a confusing situation, help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Its unlikely. The lender may not be bound by the terms of the divorce transferring the house to you. The lender's best interests are served having more people responsible for payment.

Talk to your bankruptcy advisor, divorce atty and the lender to see what might be arranged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce w/Bankruptcy. Can I get her name off the house without refinancing? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok my wife and I are currently filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, and planning a dissolution of the marriage. The house is in both of our names, is there any way to remove her name from the deed/mortgage (with her consent) without refinancing? If not, what are the odds of being able to get the...

Bankruptcy w/Divorce can I get her name off the house without refinancing? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok my wife and I are currently filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, and planning a dissolution of the marriage. The house is in both of our names, is there any way to remove her name from the deed/mortgage (with her consent) without refinancing? If not, what are the odds of being able to get the...

What happens to the house in Divorce in NC? [ 4 Answers ]

My best friend just got separated and moved out. His wife is still living in the house. He is not sure if she wants to stay there or not as of yet, but wants to know what the options are. If she wants to stay in the house although she cannot afford it alone will my friend have to continue to pay...

Name on house title without refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and boyfriend purchased a house in Montana they are living in. The house is titled in his name only. They are not married except by common-law. Is there any way possible to get my daughters name placed on the title without refinancing the existing loan and incuring closing cost and with...

Chapter 13, divorce and the house [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! Here's my situation. I am 1 month away from divorce trial. I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and made all my payments for the last 16 months. My duration is 42 months. My wife is the co-petitioner on the Ch 13. We were exempted $40,000 on the equity of our home. The current...

View more questions Search