Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostinOhio Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Divorce w/Bankruptcy. Can I get her name off the house without refinancing?
    Ok my wife and I are currently filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, and planning a dissolution of the marriage. The house is in both of our names, is there any way to remove her name from the deed/mortgage (with her consent) without refinancing? If not, what are the odds of being able to get the refinancing after the bankruptcy? And would I be better off just putting the house into the bankruptcy instead? I would like to keep the house, and she's OK with that. But, understandably, she does not want her name on it any longer. It's a confusing situation, help!:confused:
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Sep 4, 2007, 09:59 PM
    The only way to remove her from the mortgage is to refinance. If you are currently behind on the mortgage you may have a problem doing that even at this stage. As for your other questions, you need to consult a bankruptcy attorney.
    lostinOhio Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeV Sr Loan Officer
    The only way to remove her from the mortgage is to refinance. If you are currently behind on the mortgage you may have a problem doing that even at this stage.

I'm not behind on the mortgage at all, it has been kept up through the financial mess. Never missed a payment and it is totally current. So how difficult is it for someone who just filed bankruptcy to get refinancing? Does this happen often? I'm just wondering because if I think I cannot get refinanced, we would rather just include the home in the bankruptcy to eliminate the last of the legal financial bonds we have together. Thanks for answering!!
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Sep 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
    I really don't know the answer to that question. Bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 10 years. You may want to call the bank directly and explain your situation. They may be able to accommodate you. I think you will need a real estate atty, she would have to quit claim to you. And the Bankruptcy atty will guide you through the rest of it.

But, primarily talk to your lender before you actually go into court and see if they can help you. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy & refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago and now we are trying to refinance our home. We have a 1st and a 2nd lien (mortgage) on our home. There is no problem with the 1st as we reaffirmed it in our ch7, however our attorney did not get the paper in on time to reaffirm the 2nd so...

Refinancing after bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of converting from a chapter 13 to a chapter 7 bankruptcy. What are the chances of me refinancing after being discharged from a chapter 7 and how long could it take for a bank/financial institution to look at my application for consideration?

Refinancing while in bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in bankrupcty for almost 4 yrs. Looking to refi while in bankruptcy. Have an offer to refi from current 11.5%arm (which is due to increase in May/current mortgage) to 9.5%fixed along with paying $350 for an appraisal. Have a 1st and 2nd leinholder. Unsure if this would be the best thing...

Name on house title without refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and boyfriend purchased a house in Montana they are living in. The house is titled in his name only. They are not married except by common-law. Is there any way possible to get my daughters name placed on the title without refinancing the existing loan and incuring closing cost and with...

Bankruptcy & Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband filed bankruptcy just after he filed divorce, our divorce was finally before the bankruptcy. I did not file with him. Can the bankruptcy court come after me for the debts he filed on? Also note only one creditor was in both out names the rest were strickly in his.

View more questions Search