Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halo101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 07:04 AM
    AC after power outage
    After coming back from a family trip, we found that there had been a power outage. Several breakers were off position and some electronics (especially telephone) are completely dead. Now, after resetting the breakers, all the power problems are OK except AC. The control panel of AC seems working (I can even hear the click sound at the switch), but after setting the fan "ON" and temperature correctly, outside fan is NOT working.

While searching through this site (though I don't know where they are located), I found that I could try
    1. emergency switch (inside home)
    2. high pressure reset switch (outside home)

What else may I try to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your kind help in advance and have a great day.

PS. I will try to post the unit model once I get home this afternoon.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
    It sounds like you got hit with a serious surge. A reminder, that the AC outside unit might take up to 5 minues to start (after the thermostat calls for cooling) after you lose power because of the anti-(short-cycle) protection built into the system. The inside fan will come on right away.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Is it just the fan, or the compressor too? Completely silent except for the click? Likely you don't have the 230 volts. Go back to the breaker and throw it all the way to off and back on. Next, shut off the outside disconnect and check for blown fuses inside. Still no go? Check for 230 at the line side of the contactor, and 24 volts on the contactor coil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submersible pump doesn't work after power outage [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a new 1/2 hp submersible pump. I was using it to pump water out of my small above ground pool. The other day there were some storms about 25 miles away and our power went out. Since the power came back on the pump doesn't work. The ground fault outlet wasn't tripped and the...

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Worker's Safety during a power outage [ 4 Answers ]

How long can an employer in CA keep workers at a site, restaurant, during a power outage? Specifically, this power outage happens in the evening and no lights are on, no fire alarm is working and the emergency lights are the only illumination.

Printer Problem - Power Outage [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, The company I work for recently had a power outage and one of our printers has a message on it. The message reads: Load file and execute. The printer is stuck here. I turn it on and off several times, replaced the jetdirect card and changed the memory. None of which helped. Has...

View more questions Search