Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pengam Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 08:42 AM
    Can't renew IP Address..
    Hi All,

I am in need of some serious help. I'm using dell computer running on XP. I use a Belkin USB adapter to connect to the internet, but I'm using windows own "wireless network connection" software to connect to the interet.

I connect to Airport Express, using the belkin USB but now I can't connect anymore. It was working today and I opened up Limewire as normal, and sometimes when I open limewire up it doesn't let me view any websites, so I normally just re-boot and then carry on... however, this time I re-booted and tried to get it working again but now it doesn't get an IP address, it just selects a 169... address, Also it doesn't have a default gateway and I think it's unable to connect to the DCHP server.

When I try to repair the ip address it doesn't work, it just gives me a 169... address. I've tried ipconfig but that doesn't work.

So to recap

I've got no ip address
    No default gateway
    And I think I can't connect to the DCHP Server...

Please please please help me... I'm going insane!

Thanks,

Dan
    :( :( :confused: :( :(
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2005, 08:49 AM
    Try:

a) plugging directly to your dsl/cable modem to see if you have internet access
    b) unplug the power cable from your dsl/cable modem and leave it unpowered for about 2 minutes then plug it back in, then try to gain internet access

Sep 10, 2005, 09:14 AM
    I have tried that before and it doesnīt work... but I just tried it again now and it doesnīt work...

It tries to conect saying "Acquiring network address" for ages and then says connected but when you check the details itsī got a 169.. ip address and no gateway etc...

The internet connection is working for this laptop which I'm using right now. It connects to the same router...

For option A, I donīt know how to or have any leads to connect it direc to airport express... and it was working today but now its not...

I really appreciate the help though.. do you or anyone else have any more suggestions?

Sep 10, 2005, 09:23 AM
    I tried ipconfig/renew in cmd mode and it said

"An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection 7 : unable to contact your DCHP server. Request has timed out.

Any help?
    BlueSunflower Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2005, 10:35 PM
    I got same problem
    Hi Pangem, Have you solve this problem yet? Have you figure out how to renew the ip address? Please tell me, I am so frustrated right now. Thank you :confused:
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 23, 2005, 04:48 AM
    If you are having problems with your DHCP server settings, you can always fix your IP address manually and avoid the DHCP server. Normally these routers will distribute a 192.168.0.x address (x is between 1 and 254). If you know the address of the router, commonly 192.168.0.1 you put this in as the gateway address, and just select another for each of your pc's with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

to set this right click my network places and select properties. Then go to the connection you are using (Local area network or wireless). Right click & properties again. Select TCP/IP & click properties button. Then select "use the following IP address" and enter the details in there.

Using the above example your settings would be as follows:

Ip address 192.168.0.2 (address of local computer - must be unique)
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (always same for all connected computers)
    Gateway 192.168.0.1 (address of Router)

Also try setting the Dns server to the same address as the router (unless your ISP details what to set these as). You only need one DNS address but can put more in if known.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSunflower
    Hi Pangem, Have you solve this problem yet? have you figure out how to renew the ip address? Please tell me, I am so frustrated right now. thank you :confused:
    If you try using IPCONFIG /RENEW and it doesn't work, then the problem is in your connection. Try uninstalling and reinstalling your network card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot renew my IP address. [ 16 Answers ]

Hey I am new here and I was just wondering why I cannot renew my IP. I have tried for a month or so now and Google search after Google search, I am getting more frusterated. I haven't seen or heard of a problem like mine. The problem I am having is my IP address will not renew, yet I have an...

Can't Renew IP Address [ 11 Answers ]

I have Verizon Fios on my desk top and two laptop computers. One laptop connects automatically, np. The other laptop will not connect, (OS is Windows XP). I have used the commands ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. It will release but not renew. So I went to- My network...

Can't renew my IP address [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have broadband cable Internet that keeps going off - I believe it's because my IP address won't renew - or that's what it says. I've tried renewing it and it won't work - when I do 'ipconfig' the address starts with 169 and I'm led to believe it should start with a 192 (according to my...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Excel: change relative address to absolute address [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, In Excel spreadsheet, how to change relative address to absolute address for many cells at same time? I know how to use F4 to do the change, but it is not an option when I have to deal with the addresses in a 150 row x 50 column table. Thanks, Wei

View more questions Search