Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xinliwang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 12:14 AM
    What should historians do? Create history or objectively pursue the truth?
    I wander what should historians do?
    It is common there are different opinions about the same event in the history.
    It seems that some historians are creating history rather than pursuing the truth.
    Truthismyaim Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 31, 2009, 10:56 PM

People have been creating history since history began. Its up to you to gather the facts, arange then in the right order and pick out the dirty laundry.
    If you do your research well, you can see the truth between the hipe.

'''Dont always look for the easy answer, some one else already has, look, listen, and research to find the truth"""
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Feb 6, 2009, 02:42 PM

You also have to keep in mind that historians often do not have all the facts and have to speculate or extrapolate based on what is known. Sometimes the records passed down by the people who were actually there are biased, or have been edited by others, and the historian has to make a best guess as to where the truth is.

And, yes, sometimes historians have their own point to make on an issue and are biased. As Truthismyaim indicates, it is best to get a variety of input. If it's a really an important subject there is usually a lot of information to choose from.
    elelmhorst Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 02:29 AM

I agree mostly with the previously offered perspectives and will add my own. What an individual learns about the history surrounding a particular event is a product of the cultural source from which the information is obtained. It seems that in History all perspectives are subjective. An example would be a Native American learning about Custer's Last Stand. If he were reading a book written by a member of the Anglo-culture then it would be a "massacre". If he were reading a book written by a member of a Native American Tribe it would have been a "Great Victory" I have learned to take a particular approach to matters of history that has served me well in sifting through all the cultural bias. That is to consider the possible motives that each side could have for distorting the truth. The side with a greater invested interest in distortion is usually the lesser quality source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pursue her or forget [ 2 Answers ]

Hiya Was going out with my ex girlfriend for 4 months and all was perfect until we came back from holiday(her idea) and she dropped the bombshell of needing space to which I agreed too. Even though we spent all our free time together anyway at home and didn't argue at all but got on really...

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuad [ 1 Answers ]

How can you treat the subject of your essay objectively while still trying to persuade readers of your point of view?

Should I pursue this guy? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I gave a SHY male co-worker my email and phone number on Halloween 2006 because I wouldn't see him again until March 2007. Well,This guy never called me because of his shyness(I have a spy co-worker who told me what happen). March 2007 is here and I'm going to see him again in 2 weeks.Should...

View more questions Search