Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MRA AZ Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 08:08 AM
    Hot water from cold taps when HW recirculator on
    My hot water recirculator is on a timer, and whenever it is on, hot water comes from the cold taps. After a minute or so, the cold water starts coming out. Any chance this is something I can fix myself (I'm a total novice) If I do have to call a plumber, are there any things I can find out before he gets here to save time & money?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2005, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MRA AZ
    My hot water recirculator is on a timer, and whenever it is on, hot water comes from the cold taps. After a minute or so, the cold water starts coming out. Any chance this is something I can fix myself (I'm a total novice) If I do have to call a plumber, are there any things I can find out before he gets here to save time & money?

Thanks
    This is one of those problems where you have to be on site to figure it out.
    There could be a cross connection, it could be convection heating up the cold water supply. How many fixtures are affected? Which ones? How long before cold water come out of the cold water side? I'll wait on your answer.
    Regards, Tom

Sep 10, 2005, 01:23 PM
    I know the sinks in the kitchen and two bathrooms are affected, as well as the showers in both bathrooms. I have not checked toilets, the laundry sink, or the washing machine. I'll try to remember to check those next time the recirculator runs (just a few hours in the morning)

Thanks

Sep 10, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, cold water comes out after about a minute of running water.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Sorry, I forgot to mention, cold water comes out after about a minute of running water.

Has this problem just started or has it been ongoing?

Sep 11, 2005, 10:11 PM
    It started about one week ago. The house is about a year and a half old.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2005, 06:28 AM
    It started about one week ago. The house is about a year and a half old.
    Are you quite sure the pump comes on when the timer tells it too?
    Where does the return line connect to? The cold water supply to the heater or down at the drain? Have you changed out anything or had any plumbing work done just before this started? Does this effect all fixtures including the toilets when you flush? Regards, Tom

Sep 12, 2005, 04:26 PM
    I will have to check again tomorrow, but I believe the pump does turn on with the timer - it is definitely the only time I have the problem. Ironically, I've always had to run the hot water for a few seconds, even with the pump running (as opposed to a few minutes), but suddenly I am getting INSTANT hot water from the cold tap.

All cold water sources appear affected, including the toilets and washing machine.

I could not tell just by looking at the HWH where the return goes, but here is some info from the manufacturer of the recirculator: (the pump was installed durning construction)

New Construction - Return Line
    During construction of a new home, a dedicated return line is installed between the end of the hot water supply line and the water heater. A circulator pump is installed at the point where the return line connects to the hot water tank. The circulator pushes heated water from the tank through the supply line and back through the return line.

Thank you again.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2005, 05:32 AM
    I will have to check again tomorrow, but I believe the pump does turn on with the timer - it is definitely the only time I have the problem. Ironically, I've always had to run the hot water for a few seconds, even with the pump running (as opposed to a few minutes), but suddenly I am getting INSTANT hot water from the cold tap.

All cold water sources appear affected, including the toilets and washing machine.

I could not tell just by looking at the HWH where the return goes, but here is some info from the manufacturer of the recirculator: (the pump was installed durning construction)

New Construction - Return Line
    During construction of a new home, a dedicated return line is installed between the end of the hot water supply line and the water heater. A circulator pump is installed at the point where the return line connects to the hot water tank. The circulator pushes heated water from the tank through the supply line and back through the return line.

Thank you again.

Look on your heater and tell me where the return line ties to. The cold water supply to the tank or the boiler drain at the base. Regards, Tom

Sep 13, 2005, 08:42 AM
    Look on your heater and tell me where the return line ties to. The cold water supply to the tank or the boiler drain at the base. regards, Tom

Tom, you are very patient to be dealing with a novice such as myself. I'm getting quite an education myself. The return line does appear to tie to the cold water supply. Maria
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2005, 02:12 PM
    Look on your heater and tell me where the return line ties to. The cold water supply to the tank or the boiler drain at the base. regards, Tom

Tom, you are very patient to be dealing with a novice such as myself. I'm getting quite an education myself. The return line does appear to tie to the cold water supply. Maria
    No Prob Marie,

One more thing, go back down to the water heater first thing in the morning before you run any cold water. No drink, no flush, go down first thing.
    Feel the cold water line going into the heater. Is it warm? Run your hand along the pipe. How far up the line is the pipe warm? Where does it begain to get cold? I'll wait on your answer and I think you've been pretty patient with me too. Cheers, Tom

Sep 14, 2005, 07:14 AM
    One more thing, go back down to the water heater first thing in the morning before you run any cold water. no drink, no flush, go down first thing.
    Feel the cold water line going into the heater. Is it warm? Run your hand along the pipe. How far up the line is the pipe warm? Where does it begain to get cold? i'll wait on your answer and I think you've been pretty patient with me too. Cheers, Tom

My husband did this this morning, and he says it was consistently hot from the tank to the wall. Maria
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2005, 07:51 AM
    One more thing, go back down to the water heater first thing in the morning before you run any cold water. no drink, no flush, go down first thing.
    Feel the cold water line going into the heater. Is it warm? Run your hand along the pipe. How far up the line is the pipe warm? Where does it begain to get cold? i'll wait on your answer and I think you've been pretty patient with me too. Cheers, Tom

My husband did this this morning, and he says it was consistently hot from the tank to the wall. Maria
    Congratulations Marie,

You've just located the source of your problem. It's called convection. How hot is the temperature set on your water heater? It should be 120 degrees average. If the water coming out of the tap is too hot for your hands then the thermostat's set too high. If it's set at 120 degrees and the water's still too hot the thermostat's faulty and should be replaced. Best wishes, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water running from taps (hot) [ 1 Answers ]

I have no hot water running from my taps, or if so very low pressure. Is there anythung I Can do? I need a bath.lol Any Ideas Pease.:mad:

Hot water recirculator [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a 3/2.5 house w/ gas heat and hot water due to the rising costs in gas I am looking into replacing water heater, current is 14 yrs old. Heater is in garage on one side of house, 2 baths are on other side of house,and as you would expect it takes forever to get hot water...

Hot water recirculator system [ 3 Answers ]

My kitchen sink faucet and cold water heater:D couldn't be further apart without one of them being outside, so I am thinking about installing a recirculator pump system with a return line back to the cold water heater, to keep the hot water at the kitchen faucet when needed. I've read a lot about...

No water from any taps [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a well and septic. 2 days ago, the water was sputtering from the taps. Yesterday, there was no water at all. We were able to use, it seemed, whatever was left in the holding tank, as each toilet had a flush left in it, and a very tiny stream of water came out in the bathroom. We do not...

No hot water coming out of taps [ 1 Answers ]

Not very long ago my pipes started making a horrible howling noise from the hot water supply whilst running a bath, now the hot water tap only runs for about 2 minutes and then trickles and stops and has also moved to the sink and kitchen. Our cold water remains fine. Our heating system is a...

View more questions Search