Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cindy440 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 09:02 PM
    My dog hasn't eaten in 3 days, she is panting a lot and is limping
    Hi I'm new here. I have an 8 year old sheppard/lab mix.
    She is a great dog but 5 days ago she started limping, panting and now hasn't eaten in 3 days. She wants to go out side but just lays on the deck. She doesn't want to play at all.
    She keeps licking her thigh. She has had a mass on her tummy for about 3 years. The vet said she is fine until it bother her. She she also been whining while she is sleeping. With the holiday weekend I am calling the vet tomorrow to get her in but I'm just at my wits end on how to help her now. Thanks, Cindy
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 03:26 AM
    It is Tuesday morning, and you should be able to get her in to the vet now. Missing eating a few days shouldn't hurt. It is possible that mass has changed and is now bothering her. It is also possible it is something else that can easily be taken care of. Others here and I care. Please let us know how she is.

You could look at the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 This does sound like a clear case as you already plan to of seeing the vet.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Agree, get her to the vet... She is getting up in age for her breed and may start to have a myriad of various health conditions...

Sep 4, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Well I called her vet and he could not see her today. They did offer to have her stay in the hospital. I declined and took her to her old vet. Were waiting on her urine and blood work to come back. They also told me to cook her chicken and white long grain rice... SHE ATE! I'm so happy she ate something. I can feed her 1/2 cup at a time. They also gave her some pain medication for arthritis in her hip. So now I wait for 24-72 hours for the results.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:05 PM
    The chicken and rice is a common way of settling digestive tracts, but sometimes helps non eaters. Longer term, I hope the blood work turns up something that can be taken care of. At 8 years old, she should still have several good years.

Sep 5, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Well the urine and blood work is back... nothing abnormal. Today she peed on my bed in three places whil I was out. She hasn't peed three times in house in the 8 years I have had her. The vet is lost and so am I.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Frequently peeing on the bed means a challenge to your leadership. At 8 years old, I hardly see it. Usually after they mature at 3 years old, either they are in charge, or they have accepted the owner being leader. I still think it is some sort of a physical problem. I would keep working with the vet. If nothing turns up soon, perhaps think about checking with another vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog hasn't eaten for days [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10month Shepard terrier mix who hasn't eaten for 10 days. He isn't depressed, actually he still wags his tail when he sees us. We took him to the vet but that was no help. All they did was give us some antibiotics but he still won't eat. Is there anything else I could do?

Desperate my dog has kidney failure she loves food but has not eaten for 14 days [ 3 Answers ]

Phoebe our dog who is 8 years old English Cocker Spaniel suddenly become poorly, our vet has tried everything, she has been on IV fluids to flush out toxins out but she will still will not eat she she's food and runs away terrible to see as she loves food, she is still wagging her tail and showing...

My Dog Hasn't Eaten for 7 days! [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old dalmatian hasn't eaten for 7 days! I am so worried about her and terrified she will die. Last Friday was the first day she ate nothing. Digit (my Dalmatian) has urinary crystals, which is something a lot of dalmatians have, and was put on Hills Diet Plan Canine UD, tinned food, when...

14 year old Staffie, not eaten in 5 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the UK and my staffie, (a 14 year old staffordshire bull terrier weighing anout 23kg), has a heart murmur, but recently he started coughing, it turned out to be fluid in his lungs caused by the heart problem. I got some FORTEKOR, and some FRUSEMIDE from the vet, and the coughing...

Panting dog [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine just moved off the street to another house. Her dog is about 11 yrs old. Roxie(dog) is not used to new house, he is only been in it for 4 days and she brought him to my house because she had to go out of town over the weekend. He started to pant and I thought he was having a...

View more questions Search