Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael2718 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Maytag side by side fridge freezer-- occasional ice up, defroster buzzes
    Hi, all -- -
    Our Maytag SIDE BY SIDE ( MSD2356AEB) occasionally builds up ice on the coil in the freezer.
    I turn the unit off, remove the rear panels, defrost with a hair dryer, then reassemble after the half hour or so it takes to "hairdry" it. I restart, and the unit works beautifully. Freezer
    Registers -10 degrees, when set to middle -- food compartment registers temps in the mid 30's.

However, this difficulty reoccurs every four to 12 months, and clearly it should not be a part of the inherent design. Related, I SUSPECT -- the control unit in the top right back of fridge side gives off a frequent loud continuous buzz -- it sounds like something is "hung up" - -using the subtle skills I have acquired while working in the field of solid state electronics, I have been known to give the cover over that control unit a significant whack using a meat tenderizing mallet - - the result is, the control immediately stops buzzing (a welcome relief) and the compressor immediately cycles on.

Second, maybe related -- we use what seems to be an incredible amount of electricity in our modest home -- no kids -- no AC -- NOT AN ALL ELECTRIC home -- heat & hot water are produced using fuel oil, & I am wondering if somehow the maytag is over-cycling constantly or over-defrosting, or something to cause excessive electricity use.

Also, water dispenser will not dispense water (ice maker, ice cube & crushed ice dispenser DO work. Should I mention the warped fridge door shelves that impede attempts to close fridg door, or the fact that when I DO briskly close fridge door, freezer door tends to be forced open an inch or so?

I am going to end this before I send myself into an even deeper depression. Specifics would be appreciated -- getting to control unit (looks like about 4 screws?) --How to troubleshoot -- how to determine if unit is overcycling or some such thing -- yes, I have a volt-ohm meter in addition to the meat tenderizing mallet.
    Many thanks. Michael
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Whow, how old is this unit. The ice build up could be an evaporator fan motor not working properly of a defrost heater going out. As for as water and ice problem veck the water valve. It will be a dual valve and should rean 300-500 ohms.

Sep 4, 2007, 03:40 PM
    I'm guessing 7-8 years old, although from the list of difficulties, one might be thinking it was so old that it was PRE-self defrost. }C;

Is the water valve in the door, or rather, accessible from behind & underneath, somewhere close to where the water inlet line enters the whole unit? If it's in the freezer door, do I "go in from freezer side or front side?? As a bit of an add, when I push the back of the dispenser (where a
    glass would normally activate the action) and the control is set for "water", I hear no sound of any electrical contact being made. When I push in the same place, and the unit is set for "ice", I definitely hear the "click" of electrical contact being made.

I am guessing the evaporator fan IS on the compressor chassis? if it were faulty, would i get the extended timeS (several to many months)that I do get between episodes of icing up?

Also, what about the buzz out of the control unit-- Hit it again??

Esquire1, sorry to "pounce back on your response" with this series of "Stump the Stars" questions -- I just need a bit more directed guidance -- You know-- when to use the one pound mallet versus the 4 pound sledge hammer. Thanks much for your reply.

Michael
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Sounds like my computer. I always keep a 4 pounder next to it. One pounders just doesn't do it. The water valve is on the lower back side of unit, where the water supply line connect to it. The evaporator fan is inside the freezer, the condensing motor is accessed for the back lower side of unit. If the fan is running slow or getting hung (like on ice) from a slow running fan, it could do this. Not sure what you here buzzing. A timer, maybe? Could you tell me more on what you here buzzing. Another thought, If the door is warped it is not sealing properly and could cause the icing up problem but I would think it would do so more quick than you state. Any other help, post back please. Also while you are in this clean the coils and fan and motor on the back lower section of unit. This will keep unit running cooler and should be a part of routine maintenance

Sep 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    Sounds like my computer. I always keep a 4 pounder next to it. One pounders just doesn't do it. The water valve is on the lower back side of unit, where the water supply line connect to it. The evaporator fan is inside the freezer, the condensing motor is accessed for the back lower side of unit. If the fan is running slow or getting hung (like on ice) from a slow running fan, it could do this. Not sure what you here buzzing. A timer, maybe? Could you tell me more on what you here buzzing. Another thought, If the door is warped it is not sealing properly and could cause the icing up problem but I would think it would do so quicker than you state. Any other help, post back please. Also while you are in this clean the coils and fan and motor on the back lower section of unit. This will keep unit running cooler and should be a part of routine maintenence
    Doug --
    Thanks for your speedy reply. The buzz is a sound emanating from (what I believe is) the defroster control that is located in the roof (rear) on the fridge side. Intermittently -- but probably daily, a loud hummmm -- closer to a buzz -- starts and continues -- when I notice it, which is difficult not to do, if I am within a mile of our house, I give the control cover a whack with my meat tenderizing mallet, the buzz immediately stops, and the compressor cycles on. Here again, I doubt this was in the original design plan for the Maytag because they did not include the hammer when I purchased this model.
    So - - - between dismantling the freezer and defrosting it with a hair dryer, intermittently running out to the kitchen and letting the control cover have a good whack with a hammer, then closing the doors in a "fridge first, now push the fridg door past the door rack hang up, Now completely close it, and now close the freezer door that just popped open an inch or so" -- or, set the unit for water and then just run over to the kitchen faucet to fill a glass -- aside from these occasional glitches, it works just like one would expect a $1200 Maytag to work -- flawlessly. Geez -- it sounds like the stuff a B movie would be made about -- slapstick -- By the way, just a gentle suggestion for anyone else who undertakes this ritual on their own Maytag. It is best NOT to store eggs on the top shelf, close to where you are swinging the hammer -- but, of course, you also can't keep them on the door, because it gets such a jolt when it hangs up on the freezer door that you'll have instant omelet. Gee, I'm glad I have a sense of humor.

Doug, thanks again.
    Michael
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:55 PM
    The defrost timer is probably lose internally. Replace it. If it occasionally hangs the defrost heater will not work which can be a cause for the evaporator freezing/frosting up. I learned many years ago that if you don't have a sense of humor when you own these luxuries in life you would be put away in one of those homes and only get out on a week end pass. Whirlpool bought maytag out last January and I believe they are now including wooden mallets with each purchase for a limited time. Joking aside, replace the timer and you should elimate some of the problems. Not expensive or hard to do. You can get at local appliance parts store or check out Appliance Parts from RepairClinic.com - HomePage or Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Appliance Repair Parts for pricing or to order

Sep 4, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    The defrost timer is probably lose internally. Replace it. If it ocassionaly hangs the the defrost heater will not work which can be a cause for the evaporator freezing/frosting up. I learned many years ago that if you don't have a sense of humor when you own these luxuries in life you would be put away in one of those homes and only get out on a week end pass. Whirlpool bought maytag out last January and I beleive they are now including wooden mallets with each purchase for a limited time. Joking aside, replace the timer and you should elimate some of the problems. Not expensive or hard to do. You can get at local appliance parts store or check out Appliance Parts from RepairClinic.com - HomePage or Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts – Appliance Repair Parts for pricing or to order
    Am I looking for a part called ADAPTIVE DEFROST?

Thanks -- Michael
    bdcool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 05:24 AM
    I had to replace the valve in question at the bottom rear of fridge. Probably the same unit as yours. The valve will start to leak slightly and then freeze up and stop itself up with ice.
    I used a hair dryer to unfreeze it where it enters freeze behind icemaker, but it froze up again after a month or so. I would also recommend an inline filter installed before the valve. I just unfroze my freezer with a fan and got some help from your q@a so thanks.
    kenneth1999 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 08:00 PM
    My same fridge has been doing the same thing (MSD2356AEB) I have become a pro at using the hairdryer method of defrost. I have learned that mine gives off signs shortly before things freeze up as follows 1) there will be an excessive build up of moisture in the fridge side on the walls closest to the air duct. 2) This happens when I am not using my home AC and the humidity levels are high in my home. This summer I ran the AC in the house all summer after the first episode and there has been no problem. This model does not have a high humidity switch like some others I have seen. I do NOT want to have to always keep my house AC on. I live in the southeast where the humidity is always high in the warmer months. My water/ice work fine. I do notice that when the unit freezes up my fridge doors do not seal properly as guess that is a natural side effect of there being on cooling taking place. MY suggestion is to see if yours is also effected by humidity and or room heat.
    jaafar1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 05:15 PM
    I found out that heater is dead and I have ordered one for £30 and I am going to give it ago tomorrow.. I am sure it will work. I have my dishwasher broken down as it does not complete cycle and all kihge start flahing.can someone help
    Thanks
    Drlee2er Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 04:08 PM
    I also have a maytag fridge that is doing the same thing other than the water problem. I started noticing the buzzing sound coming from the inside roof of the gridge side and now mine is freezing up. My wife is starting to get pissed because we have gone through 2 hairdryers in the past 6 months. I never put the two together until I read this Q&A. thans everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Will try replacing the defrost timer and will repost if it worded. Thanks for everyone's help...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

Ice maker Maytag wide by side [ 3 Answers ]

My ice maker on my Maytag wide by side isn't working. There seems to be ice in the tray but it will not cycle and drop the ice cubes... Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Mike

Maytag Wide by Side Freezer making weird noise [ 5 Answers ]

My Maytag MZD2665HEQ is only 3 years old and it already had compressor issues. The compressor was replaced in February, but since then the freezer makes a weird creaking/groaning noise. It stops when the freezer door is opened but restarts as soon as you close it. Any idea what could be causing...

View more questions Search