Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Dog and Chicken bones
    From a PM:
    ''Hey there. I just read a response you left about chicken bones and dogs.
    It said something about tarry stool.
    Well, my dog ate an entire rotisserie chicken and now has diarrhea.
    Do you know if these bones digest?
    She is acting fine just has lots of poo.''

Quite often dogs eat chicken ones without any problem. Other times the stomach or intestines are perforated. The blood from that comes out tarry. It is also possible a bone is blocking the digestive tract. That could lead to diarrhea. Usually the dog will be fine until you can get to the vet's Tuesday.

There are several reasons for posting to the board rather than sending a PM. For one, I have been out of town since Saturday morning.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Uncooked bones are usually not a problem, while cooked bones may fragment and cause injury...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:07 AM
    The problem sounds like an obstruction. While uncooked bones are less likely to splinter, they can cause obstructions the same as anything else. If she still has the runs, see the vet. If it cleared up, it could just be the sudden change in diet.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:25 AM
    I always choose to be on the safe side. I may be an alarmist at times but if my dog ate a whole rotisserie chicken, I would rather hear from my vet that my dog doesn't have any obstruction or perforation issues and whatever she ate needs to run through her system, rather than wait it out and see if she gets over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can cats eat chicken bones? [ 8 Answers ]

Is it all right for a cat (adult) to eat fried chicken scraps from the table? This includes the bones. I didn't think they could. I know dogs can't. If "no", then why are cats different than dogs on this topic? Thanks Susan:confused: :confused:

14 Week PuppyAte Chicken Bones [ 17 Answers ]

About 1 hour and 30 minutes ago my baby whippet/pitbull mix got into about 8/cooked dominos chicken wing bones. She is now very sluggish and looks as if she's not feeling well at all, lying around. She was drinking and left the room when I went downstairs to see if I had cotton balls. I called the...

My dog refused to eat anything but chicken. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, My samoyed of 7 years, had glaucoma 3 weeks ago and had his left eye removed, a few days before the op to keep his strength up we gave him a whole chicken a day, and also a few days after the op, he now refuses his own meat although we have tried to ween him off the chicken, by mixing...

Why doesn't my dog like chicken flavor food [ 3 Answers ]

I have a pitbull that only eats all kinds of beef flavor dog food and he doestn like chicken at all and I would like to know why is that is that a problem or is that just the way he is do you think that's a problem? Because whenever I bring dog chicken flavor food he doesn't eat it at all and it...

Shih tzu ate chicken bones hheeelllllllllllpppppppppp [ 2 Answers ]

Ok my little shih tzu of nearly 10 months likes to dig through the bin. Anyway two nights ago he pulled out the bag full of cooked chicken wing bones and ate them. I didn't know until he was sick. This morning when I woke up in the kitchen there was sick everywhere and it was all just chopped up...

View more questions Search