Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcpuccio1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Stress fracture/bone bruise to 2 bones in my foot
    I have a bad bone bruise or stress fracture to the talus and cuboid bones in my
    Left foot. Depends on which Dr. I ask one calls it a bruise one calls it a stress fracture. I was hard casted for 3 weeks and in a cam for another week
    And then back in to a hard cast again now for another 4 weeks. The cam
    Was pure agony it was twisting my ankle all around.I saw another Dr. in
    The same office for the second cast and he assured me that there was no
    Soft tissue damage showing up on the MRI that was done. He discovered
    The injury to the Talus it was originally thought it was just the
    Cuboid bone. The cast was the better way to go. I still have 1+ week to go
    In this one I still have some discomfort in the ankle joint the Dr.
    Advised to try to walk on it 1 week prior to seeing him if tolerable. My
    Question is if it still aches I wouldn't walk on it. Should I expect some
    Pain this far into this 8 weeks and if so would I expect to be re
    Casted yet again? This one has loosened up a bit. What is a realistic time
    Table for this kind of injury? I know you can't see the extent of the
    Bruise/fracture but a ball park answer? I know PT is in my future as
    Well.Thank you so much for reading.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 11:00 PM
    Stress fractures, also known as hairline fractures, are very tiny cracks in a bone that are caused by applications of force in sports such as track, for example. These fractures tend to occur in weight bearing bones of the lower legs and/or feet.

Treatment really depends on the location of the stress fracture and how quickly you have to resume activities.

As has been seen in the OPs case, management with splint/brace/cast is commonly used to minimize the wight-bearing load in the patient with such fracture. Physical therapy may also be necessary. Surgery, although unusual, is sometimes used to assist in healing in certain types of stress fractures, especially in the bone that has poor blood supply.

Healing can take several months, or even longer in some cases. It is important to rest the limb as much as possible, and according to your doctor's instructions. Ice can be used as well to assist in reduction of swelling as well as relieving pain. It is also important to resume your activities slowly and don't over-do it.

In the end, prevention is key. Make any changes to an exercise program slowly and progress with your routine gradually. Use proper footwear for your particular activity. And by all means, get proper nutrition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foot and ankle "bone brusie" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bad bone bruise or stress fracture to the talus and cuboid bones in my Left foot. Depends on which Dr. I ask one calls it a bruise one calls it a stress fracture. I was hard casted for 3 weeks and in a cam for another week And then back in to a hard cast again now for another 4 weeks....

Making a bruise go away FAST [ 9 Answers ]

Just wondering if any one has any advice on how to make a bruise go away (or rather heal) a little bit faster? I recently had to have an IV in my arm and a mark and bruie from where it was and just want the nasty mark to go away like NOW! Any information would be really helpful Thak you Jessica

Knee/Foot Pain due to possible old fracture? [ 1 Answers ]

I'll have to do a bit of exposition before I get to the current problem. One time, whilst I was working in a bar, we finished our shift and began drinking (as was usual on a Saturday night/morning). Now, when I was quite tipsy, I jumped over the bar and landed on my right leg, hearing a loud...

Foot pain and swelling top cneter portion of my foot [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The top of my foot is swollen and in pain. Thye took and exray and it showed degenerative changes in my foot? What does that mean? :confused:

View more questions Search