Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuckhag123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Social Security Disability
    In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control the headaches... non narcotic The Delaware police took my drivers license and now how the heck am I supposed to make a living. Can anyone Please help me or refere me to someone in Delaware that can? I don't know what else to do.

Sincerely,
    Chuck hager
    [email protected]
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Could you, maybe, best bet, get a disability attorney, most will work on a fee basis only if they win.

Plus of course you will have to work with your doctor to show that this drug and your problem is why.

Also you may check with the VA to see if your service disability can be updated to a higher disability rate.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Qualifying for SSD benefits depends on what you are eligible for-if you've not paid in to the SSA system in 18 years, you may only qualify for Supplemental Security Income unless you can prove that you were disabled long before (and trust me, that's hard to do). If you are still "insured", you qualify for Disability Insurance Benefits.

For SSI, you will not only have to prove that you are disabled, but that you have a very limited or not at all income.

I agree w/ Fr. Chuck. It sounds like you need to contact an attorney. You can contact NOSSCR ( National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives) NOSSCR Online to find the representative closest to you.
    brashj54 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2007, 12:48 PM
    I am on Social Security Disability, Have been on and off and back on. My disability at first was Major Depression, went back to work had a heart attack, went back on SSD. Migraines are now considered a disability and many people get it for that. So try you my be surprised, though it may take a good while, you will be given back pay from the date you apply, so it's important to apply, then if you need to get an attorney, but don't give up you have a good chance of getting it. I don't understand your drivers licence being taken away, I and many people I know have to take drugs like Morphine for chronic pain and still keep their licence? I will keep you in my prayers.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Oct 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Migraine does get some people disability, but you have to have a documented medical history so make sure that you are going to the doctors. Most people have to go to a hearing before they can collect their disability. Social Security Disability is different from SSI. You have to have paid in a set amount over a period that will guarantee that you will collect (insurability). Please contact an attorney.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Like Kayakinggirl said you have to have a medical history of going to the doctors for them to really help your case. I always tell my friends to work with your doctor in applying for disability then once it is turned down get a lawyer. That way if you win first time around (which happens sometimes) you don't have a lawyer to pay. Once you are turned down get the lawyer and appeal it before the time they allot you to because once you let it lapse they will only go back to when you reapplied to figure how much they will give you. If you keep it on going they should figure an amount going back to when you first applied.
    They use to give you a full amount from the day you first applied to when you were approved. Now they go back but they only figure a percentage or something.
    BlueMoon777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakinggirl
    Qualifying for SSD benefits depends on what you are eligible for-if you've not paid in to the SSA system in 18 years, you may only qualify for Supplemental Security Income unless you can prove that you were disabled long before (and trust me, that's hard to do). If you are still "insured", you qualify for Disability Insurance Benefits.

For SSI, you will not only have to prove that you are disabled, but that you have a very limited or not at all income.

I agree w/ Fr. Chuck. It sounds like you need to contact an attorney. You can contact NOSSCR ( National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives) NOSSCR Online to find the representative closest to you.

Hi kayakinggirl, I sent you instant message but not sure how to use this. I had a question; what do you mean by "still" insured? I have worked and paid in but was not working when I applied. Do you think this will be a problem? Thank you so much,
    BlueMoon777
    BlueMoon777 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhag123
    In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control the headaches ....non narcotic The Delaware police took my drivers liscense and now how the heck am I supposed to make a living. Can anyone Please help me or refere me to someone in Delaware that can? I don't know what else to do.

Sincerely,
    Chuck hager
    [email protected]
    I'm sorry; I think I answered someone else's response in YOUR response; I'm not sure how to use this site yet.

I apologize for doing this; I do hope you understand.

Thank you so much,

BlueMoon777
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 03:09 AM
    Good advise above. Make sure to keep up regular doctor visits. If you do file, all evidence of the jobs you lost, absenteeism and poor performance reviews will support your claim. Letters from former employers, family members etc. can make a stronger case.
    denice Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Jan 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Just because you were given 10 percent does not mean it stops there. Go and apply for help though the dav they are more than willing to help you. The thing is to fit into there program. And get the help you need. With the headaches you can develop seizures up to 10 years. Get the VA invovled also. You have rights apply though the VA and DAV
    Jeanette25 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhag123
    In 1981 I had a head injury in the U.S. Navy with a 10% disability medical discharge. I suffer from sever and frequent migrains or cluster headaches. This has cost me over 18 jobs since then. I was wondering if I would qualify for SSdisability. Because of the medication I have to take to control the headaches ....non narcotic The Delaware police took my drivers liscense and now how the heck am I supposed to make a living. Can anyone Please help me or refere me to someone in Delaware that can? I don't know what else to do.

Sincerely,
    Chuck hager
    [email protected]
    The first thing you need to do is to see your doctor. He or she must support you and say that you cannot work. Get the necessary forms that you and your doctor must complete and send the papers to social security. After that the social security department will tell you what to do. If you do go to a lawyer do so only if social security denies you coverage. I am not a lawyer but I am disabled, and had to go though this process. I am in Ohio and here it takes about 6 to 9 months to complete the process. I think it is probably universal since they are federal. If they accept your claim then the first check you get will be from when you first were elegable to obtain coverage which is about 6 months from not being able to work. Since this seems to be military related the va involved as well. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Social Security, VA disability, and Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions...

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search