Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fa5 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2005, 04:17 PM
    Word documents locked for edit - HELP!
    I have Windows ME and Microsoft word. I have all my word documents from school arranged in folders based on each semester. Today, I opened up a 12 page paper for editing and I cannot do a single thing to this document. Each time I try, I get the following message "The command is not available because the document is locked for edit". It appears that every document that I have written in word for the past seven semesters is "locked for edit". Any ideas?? I am desperate to edit and submit this 12 page paper. Please help!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2005, 04:42 PM
    From another discussion group:

"If this only happens in one particular document, try clicking on Tools |
    Unprotect Document. If all new and existing documents are locked for
    editing, then it's probably because you have not activated your
    Word/Office software, or because you have an expired trial version of
    Office 2003. What happens if you start Word and click on Help |
    Activate Product? If you are already activated, a dialog box saying so
    will appear. If you are not activated, the Activation Wizard will
    start. If you have an expired trial version, a dialog box will prompt
    you to enter a valid product key or purchase a key online."

Also, if you have WordPerfect available, try opening the document with that.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Sep 7, 2005, 05:11 PM
    As a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend you choose to at least back up your documents in a format other than Microsoft's .doc, such as RTF or OpenDocument. This way you will be sure you will be able to open the document without having to depend on Microsoft to support the format, which they keep changing.

The same kind of thing happened to me with WordPerfect documents... I had to hunt down an old copy of WordPerfect to open the files so I could read them, as there were no other WPD reader that would work with the files properly. If I had saved them as RTF, that sort of thing would never have happened.

These documents are your work and your history... say no to vendor lock-in.

;)
    psi42
    _byakuren_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2006, 04:02 PM
    This is a somewhate late response, but for future searchers who hit this:

I had a document that was locked and password-protected. I didn't know the password, but some of my commands were still available. So I just copy-pasted the entire document into a new document, and that did the trick for me.

Good luck!

-P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mower locked up [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have craftsman 6.5 push mower that is about 8 years old. I went to prime it to start it last week and after it starts it only stays on for about 5 to 10 seconds and then shuts off. Then it won't start again unless I prime it again. It did this about 10 times and then the engine locked up...

Creating an edit page in dreameaver [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am having problems with creating a members edit details page for my webiste. I want a user, that is not logged in, to be denied access to this edit details page. If a member is logged on then I want the edit details page to laod, but with that specific members detail only. I have...

Locked out of AllExperts.com [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I'm a expert on this site, (plumbing page), as well as AllExperts.com. I went to answer a question this morning and got this back. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e14' The log file for database 'allexperts' is full. Back up the...

View more questions Search