Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NoSecurity Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Volunteers in africa
    Hello.I want to work in africa as a volunteer.im an english teacher.is there anyone here who has experiences? And where to go to in africa is another question mark in my mind
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
    I have never done any volunteer work outside my community,but here's a link for you to check on volunteers in Africa.
    Please click the weblink to find links to each organisation listed in this article.
    ---------------------------------------
    Volunteer Work in Africa
    Recommended Volunteer Agencies working in Africa
    There are many reasons people want to volunteer in Africa and it's important you choose an organization that shares your ideals and goals. The volunteer organizations listed below come highly recommended. I have personally known people who have worked for all of the following and have had good experiences:

Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is a British based charity organization which recruits professionals for two-year stints throughout Africa. There are a couple of youth programs available for 17-25 year-olds that require a shorter time commitment. VSO is one of Britain's most established and professional charities. While most of their recruits come from the EU, anyone is encouraged to apply. You can search for jobs by skill area.

Habitat for Humanity is a US based organization publicly supported by former president Jimmy Carter. Their focus is on providing housing for people throughout the world. Habitat offers paid international positions for 3 year terms. They also offer an international volunteer program which is a 2-3 month commitment where you are expected to cover your own costs.

UN Volunteers (UNV). Volunteering for the UN requires you to have a minimum age of 25 and while you can specify the country you would like to work in, they will place you where they need you. The jobs are usually for a 1-2 year time frame and are paid. Working as a UN Volunteer is a good way to get a foot into the wider UN organization if that's where you'd like to have a career.

Cross-Cultural Solutions is a non-profit organization headquartered in the US but with several offices around the world. They offer short-term volunteer opportunities to many developing countries including Ghana and Tanzania. Volunteer assignments range from 2-12 weeks and the volunteer pays a fee to join the program. This is a good program for those looking for an alternative to just traveling around. You'll get a great opportunity to live locally and help a community at the same time.

Peace Corps volunteers usually spend 2 years working on a project. Only US citizens are able to get a volunteer job with the Peace Corps. Every Peace Corps volunteer gets paid a modest stipend and all travel, in-country training and medical costs are covered. The Peace Corps works in about 30 countries in Africa, so there's plenty of choice.

SPW (Student Partnership Worldwide) is a global volunteer agency based in the UK for young adults aged 18-28. Volunteers are called "Peer Educators" and are sent to various countries in Africa (and Asia) to lead programs that address urgent health and environmental issues. The average length of a placement is 8 months and the volunteer pays a fee to be able to participate in the program. Volunteer opportunities are available in Uganda, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia.

Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). MSF is my personal favorite because they work under the most dangerous circumstances and are often the only ones still working when all others have left the scene. MSF Volunteers are generally expected to be available to work for 9-12 months and often in fairly extreme conditions. MSF offers volunteer missions to health professionals, administrators and logistics staff.
    --------------
    NoSecurity Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Thanks a lot.. hope I can find sth good
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 01:56 PM
    It was a pleasure
    As it is for a good cause... :)

Hope you find what you need...
    Inathosmen Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Hi

I'm currently a volunteer at daktari bush school and wild life orphanage, and this is definitely a place to go if you want to teach children. We get about 6 children from the local school or orphanage out here every Monday and they stay until Friday. We have som animals which we also incorporate in the teaching so that they are not just sitting all day :) We teach them a little english, some math and geography depending on their level. If you're interested just write me an email and let me know... also feel free to ask any questions.

You can also check out the website www.africanorphanage.com

Best wishes
    Ina

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Africa [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem about , "what is the real meaning of piramids to the Egyptian culture?

From africa to africa [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need a swaziland visa before going there with my ghanaian passport?

Can volunteers receive benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can volunteers of a nonprofit receive health benefits, life insurance or pensions/retirement benefits?

Getting to Africa [ 2 Answers ]

I will be flying to Cape Town from Tokyo in October. Can somebody tell me the best suggested route. How many hours does the trip take? Also, do we require to get any particular shots or medication. In 1990 when I went to the Gambia I had to get a yellow fever shot and take malaria medication. ...

Volunteer in Africa [ 1 Answers ]

CICD and the Humana People to People movement are looking for volunteers. You can contribute to the fight against AIDS and poverty by joining the Development Instructor program. A life changing experience – for yourself and the people in Africa you work with! You can work with: - Child Aid...

View more questions Search