Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brett Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2005, 11:21 AM
    Installing Ceiling Fan Wall Remote with Red & Black Wires?
    I am trying to install a Hampton Bay Wall Remote Control that transmits a signal to a receiver that I will install behind the Ceiling Fan assembly.

Problem: Remote instructions state to connect the 2 Black wires from the wall switch to the new Remote switch. The wall switch has a Red and a Black wire connected to it, along with a bare Ground wire. There is a bundle of 4 White wires inside this junction box all connected to each other and capped. This junction box is home to the Ceiling Fan wall switch and another wall switch that turns an outlet off/on. Coming out of the ceiling to the Fan is a Black, Red, and White wire. Right now, with the old switch hooked up, the Fan motor is always powered, and the Fan's light kit is powered on/off with the wall switch.

Wall Switch:
    =====Black=======

=====Red=======

-----Green--------

Ceiling Plate to Fan:
    =====Black=======

=====Red=======

=====White=======
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Identify the wires that go to the outlet and its switch, and leave them alone. If the wall remote has 2 black wires, connect one to the incoming black feed wire, and the other to the white wires. Connect the incoming black feed wire to the black wire that goes to the fan. At the fan remote, if it has 2 black wires too, again one to black, and one to white. If either has a white wire instead of 2 blacks, be sure to connect it to the white. Connect all bare and green wires together, and to any green screws.

Cap off the red wire at both ends. The wall remote and the fan remote will now always be hot. Switching is now being done at the fan remote, and you do not need the second wire from the wall switch to the fan.

Sep 7, 2005, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If the wall remote has 2 black wires, connect one to the incoming black feed wire, and the other to the white wires. Connect the incoming black feed wire to the black wire that goes to the fan.
    You say to connect one of the remote's Black wire to the White wires. These White wires aren't hooked up to any switch in the wall... they are 4 wires (2 switches in the wall plate) which are all bundled together and capped at the end. Do I connect the remote's Black wire to one or all 4 of these White wires?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2005, 06:16 PM
    Yes. Common electrical circuits have a hot wire and a grounded neutral. The current flows through one wire, through the load, and back the other. The neutral is always white. Switches are always installed in the hot wire, and the neutral connects directly to the neutral. Some fixtures just use 2 black wires where it doesn't make much difference.

Sep 9, 2005, 08:07 PM
    Thank you so much for the help. I am going to try what you said. Both Black wires from the new wall remote to one Black in the wall, and to the 4 Whites in the wall.

Quick, probably stupid question...

As long as I turn off the breaker before touching any wires, is there any possible wiring combination that I can make wrongly that would arc or start a fire or cause any damage to the home's electrical system if I connect it and turn the breaker back on? I just want to make sure I can't cause any permanent damage if I wire it wrongly.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2005, 09:02 PM
    Strange things can happen. Electrical systems are set up so that usually at least 2 things have to go wrong before anybody is hurt or anything damaged. Connect the wrong black and white wires, and you have a bad short. A proper functioning breaker instantly cuts the power before anything is damaged. With age and abuse, breakers tend to open under rated load, rather than fail to open when they should. The chances are very low of there being any real problems.

Sep 10, 2005, 07:08 AM
    Thanks very much. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sep 12, 2005, 11:14 AM
    Hey there!

Just a follow-up. I capped off the Black wire in the ceiling. I connected the fan's remote receiver in the ceiling to the Red Wire and to the White wire. In the wall, I connected the transmitter to the Red Wire and the Black Wire. I didn't mess with the White wires in the wall. The fan works perfectly!

I really appreciate the help.
    gregg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 11:21 AM
    Installing ceiling fan with remote
    I am installing a harbor breeze ceiling fan with a remote control. The remote has one black and one white wire for the incoming AC power. The wires coming from the box/ ceiling are red, white, black, and an uncovered ground. The previous ceiling fan was connected to the red and white wires. When I install the fan I don't know which wire should be connected to the black and white on the remote control. (By the way, the white wire is hot)

Thanks

Greg
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 04:24 PM
    Was there at least at one time a wall switch or 2 for the fan? Usually a 3 wire cable means a pair of 3 way switches, or separate switches for the fan and light. To figure this out, you need look at the switches. Two together each with 2 contacts means separate circuits. Two on the far sides of the room with 3 contacts means 3 way switches. Post back, and we will work on it some more.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 11:14 PM
    How do you know the white wire is hot?

The previous fan was connected to the red and white, and to no other wires (besides ground)? I take it the white from the fan was connected to the white wire, and the black and blue from the fan were connected to the red wire? If this is the case, it sounds like the red is hot and the white is neutral.

First thing I would try is hook the new fan exactly the way the old fan was-- black to red, white to white. See if it works.

For more information on ceiling fan wiring:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php
    vhaynie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 12:16 AM
    I am trying to install a ceiling fan. My ceiling fan is a hunter model #21144-100. I gives the option to assemble two different was. One low profile, or hanging fan. I choose low profile, since my wall is kind of low. I am replaceing this ceiling fan with another. I have a green ground wire. If I use the low profile, If I'm not mistaking, I do not need the pipe nipple ball, which has the ground wire on it. So my question is what do I connect the green ground wire to, that is coming from the ceiling plate. I do not have a ground wire coming from my wiring in my ceiling. I only have one black, and one white wire.
    vhaynie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 12:32 AM
    vhaynie
    New Member Join Date: Jun 2006

I am trying to install a ceiling fan. My ceiling fan is a hunter model #21144-100. I gives the option to assemble two different was. One low profile, or hanging fan. I choose low profile, since my wall is kind of low. I am replaceing this ceiling fan with another. I have a green ground wire. If I use the low profile, If I'm not mistaking, I do not need the pipe nipple ball, which has the ground wire on it. So my question is what do I connect the green ground wire to, that is coming from the ceiling plate. I do not have a ground wire coming from my wiring in my ceiling. I only have one black, and one white wire.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2006, 01:00 AM
    When you hang a Low Profile fan to a metal box and metal conduit sometimes no ground wire is needed-- the metal box is grounded, which attaches to the metal fan bracket, which attaches to the metal fan canopy, which attaches to the metal fan motor. When you hang it using the pipe nipple, the rubber ball isolates the motor assembly from the bracket and ceiling box and so a connection is needed so that the fan is grounded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

I think I shorted contact wires for digital thermostat while installing. [ 3 Answers ]

Actually, I know I shorted it! I was installing a ritetemp therostat. C-Blue G-Green Y-Yellow W-White R-Red It seemed pretty straight forward.

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search