Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Should I drop out of a 2 year college and go to a 4 year college instead?
    Ok last September I attended a two year college for one semester and I took a semester off due to financial difficulties. I was suppose to start school next week and I don't think I can make it. I told my friend and family I would go back to school this sept, I don't think that's going to happen since I don't have the money and I really thought I was going to find a job before school started and I didn't find one. I was thinking to just not to finish my education at the 2 year college I attended and just wait until next year to go to a 4 year so that way I have time to come with the money. I had plan to transfer from a 2 year college to a 4 year, but I won't be able to complete my education at the two year college I went to. I want to tell my friend and family that I decided to not to go back to school until next year and I want to go to a different school but I not sure how I can tell them. My sister spent money on me to buy back to school clothes which at the time I really thought I was going back to school and I feel bad I wasted her money but the thing is my dad paid her back, I feel confused can someone help. How can I tell my friend and family that I decided not to go back to school like I said I was? And if I should not continue my education at the school I attended?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2007, 09:04 PM
    A two year college is just the first two years of a four year college but normally just slightly cheaper. If you can't afford one, you can't afford the other. If you really want to go to college you would try working and taking at least part time college.

So why are not really wanting to go.
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Sep 1, 2007, 09:30 PM
    I am just starting my first year after transferring to a 4 year school and I do not have any regrets about not going to a 4 year school from the beginning. Fr_Chuck, I am not sure which state you are in but "just slightly cheaper" is a vast understatement in my opinion.
    At the 2 year school a credit hour cost is $86, at the 4 year school it is $262.
    From my perspective the first 2 years is general education for everybody no matter where they start. There's a reason why you are required to take so many different types of classes, its to help you find out what your interests are and what to major in.
    There are a lot of good reasons to complete your first 2 years at community college, the price is the most obvious, but also the class sizes will be smaller giving you the opportunity to talk to and know each of your professors. Also, there are very good and qualified teachers at 2 year colleges, and the majority are there because they love to teach.

Above all, I hope you do not get discouraged and give up on getting a higher education.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2007, 10:06 PM
    A four-year college that charges only $262 a credit hour?? Which college??

Like FrChuck said, if you can't afford a two-year college, you won't be able to afford a four-year one. There is no way you could save enough money in a year's time. Plus, you've attended college for only one semester and ran out of money.

Depending on your field of study and what you plan to do after college, the smartest thing you can do is pick a four-year college (if you really WANT to go to college) and work out something with the financial aid office with loans and grants. You might be eligible for a Pell Grant, for instance. Then you can repay the loans once you graduate and get a good job.

Sep 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    A two year college is just the first two years of a four year college but normally just slightly cheaper. If you can't afford one, you can't afford the other. If you really want to go to college you would try working and taking at least part time college.

So why are not not really wanting to go.

You're right about if I can't afford one college I can't afford the other, I didn't realize that until after I asked the question. It's not that I don't want to go, I just need time to look for work and then go back. So I hope better things will happen in the future.

Sep 2, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    A four-year college that charges only $262 a credit hour??? Which college????

Like FrChuck said, if you can't afford a two-year college, you won't be able to afford a four-year one. There is no way you could save enough money in a year's time. Plus, you've attended college for only one semester and ran out of money.

Depending on your field of study and what you plan to do after college, the smartest thing you can do is pick a four-year college (if you really WANT to go to college) and work out something with the financial aid office with loans and grants. You might be eligible for a Pell Grant, for instance. Then you can repay the loans once you graduate and get a good job.

This is really good advice to me, I do want to go to college, so I'm not going to give up
    SHM76 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Hello Sweetpie88,

I will suggest that you do the following:
    - Get a job, and at the same time enrolled for a 4- year distance learning degree program; OR
    - Consider doing one thing at a time! Get a job; save a lot of money to cover your entire tuition before beginning your four year degree program.

From my personal experience, I have chosen the first option above, and it has worked for me. My employer truly appreciated my efforts - and even before my completion of the degree program, I was promoted to the position of Director of Operations.

All you need to do is, let your employer be aware of your plans. Nowadays, employers do appreciate employees, who, despite their workload, spent extra time studying in their free hours!

You need a lot of sacrifice, dedication and commitment to achieve this!

Cheers,
    Contributor from Burkina Faso/West Africa
    Shmspecial05@yahoo. Ca

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

19 Year old home from college [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just returned home from being away at college for the past 10 months. She has gained over 60 pounds and is doing terrible in school. Now that she is home she keeps her room messy, is unkempt and ignores most of what we ask of her. She is never verbally disrespectful, but just...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search