Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Sep 7, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Calculating pi to n decimal places
    Suppose your goal is to calculate (not look up) a value of pi that is accurate to n decimal places. Suppose n were 10. How would you do it?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 7, 2005, 06:51 AM
    In Excel enter the formula:

=PI()

widen the column

then click on the icon to increase decimal (Formatting)

Is this what you're after?
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Sep 14, 2005, 04:17 PM
    Lookup in Excel
    Thank you, but no, that's not what I was after.

Using the Excel built-in function is sort of similar to a table lookup.

What did we do before Excel to CALCULATE, not look up, the value of pi?

I suspect the answer is to use a Taylor's series expansion of some mathematical function. Is that what would have been done?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Sep 14, 2005, 06:18 PM
    It is a good idea... I guess you could ask the same question for number "e" (base of natural logarithm). You could take a function e^x, get it's Taylor's series expansion and calculate it's value for x=1. Now you only have to take some function whose value in a certain point is PI... call that point x_pi, get that function's Taylor's series expansion, and calculate it's value in x_pi.
    Alephomomom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
    PI = 4* SUM(from n=0 to infinity, (-1)^n/(2n+1)
    As a pattern: 4* (1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9)
    This is the easiest formula, but converges slowly
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
    This post is over 6 years old. But.. a faster way to converge toward the value of pi is to use this seeries:

It converges to an accuracy of 10 digits in about 20 steps, whereas the formula Aleph posted would require tens of millions of steps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pi by recursive decimal places [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a way to calculate pi by using the current last decimal place to calculate the next decimal place. I already made a formula for pi that I posted on another board, but someone suggested I copy here. ---Begin quote--- This doesn't really fit anywhere so I'm just...

Calculating board feet [ 7 Answers ]

How do you calculate board feet? I understand Linear feet, but I don't get board feet and apparently neither does anyone else I know.:confused:

Help with calculating amount of Fe [ 2 Answers ]

I did an experiment involving the gravimetric determination of Iron in Geritol. At the end of the experiment I was left with a product, Fe2O3 that weighed 0.417 g I'm not sure how to calculate the amount of Iron from here. This is what I did. I calculated the molar mass of Fe2O3 to be...

Calculating air conditioning requirements [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, Our residential building has to replace the air conditioner for the lobby and guess who's been asked to research it. The current A/C unit is attached to the ceiling in the basement and supplys air to the duct work leading to the lobby. A label on the unit indicates 2 tons. It's...

View more questions Search