Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Camel Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2005, 04:16 AM
    Limited space question.
    I have some obstacles that limit the amount of initial drop (plumbing in a concrete slab) allowed in the bathroom group and wondered if it is OK to discharge a water closet directly into a sanitary tee (inlet of the tee pointing upwards)? Can the closet flange be shortened (sawed off) to further gain vertical space? Does the plumbing have to be below the slab or can it be 'in' the slab? What are the limitations? Can a basin discharge vertically into the top of the 4" drain pipe or does it have to enter at an angle?
    Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    I have some obstacles that limit the amount of initial drop (plumbing in a concrete slab) allowed in the bathroom group and wondered if it is OK to discharge a water closet directly into a sanitary tee (inlet of the tee pointing upwards)? Can the closet flange be shortened (sawed off) to further gain vertical space? Does the plumbing have to be below the slab or can it be 'in' the slab? What are the limitations? Can a basin discharge vertically into the top of the 4" drain pipe or does it have to enter at an angle?
    Thank you.
    Hi Camel,
    It is OK to discharge a water closet directly into a sanitary tee (inlet of the tee pointing upwards)?
    Yes.
    Can the closet flange be shortened (sawed off) to further gain vertical space?
    Since the closet flange already sets on the floor it makes no sense to shorten it. Did you mean something else?
    Does the plumbing have to be below the slab or can it be 'in' the slab?
    Our codes specify that the drainage shall be in trenches under the poured slab. However check with your building department to see.
    Can a basin discharge vertically into the top of the 4" drain pipe or does it have to enter at an angle?
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking if a wash basin without a trap may be discharged into a existing floor drain? And please explain, "does it have to enter at an angle?"
    Regards, Tom

Sep 7, 2005, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Camel,
    it is OK to discharge a water closet directly into a sanitary tee (inlet of the tee pointing upwards)?
    Yes.
    Can the closet flange be shortened (sawed off) to further gain vertical space?
    Since the closet flange already sets on the floor it makes no sense to shorten it. Did you mean something else?
    Does the plumbing have to be below the slab or can it be 'in' the slab?
    Our codes specify that the drainage shall be in trenches under the poured slab. However check with your building department to see.
    Can a basin discharge vertically into the top of the 4" drain pipe or does it have to enter at an angle?
    I don't understand the question. Are you asking if a wash basin without a trap may be discharged into a existing floor drain? And please explain, "does it have to enter at an angle?"
    Regards, Tom
    Bad wording of the question... basin is the last unit before exiting the building and am guessing after the P-trap the discharge line will go back a foot or so, drop down and pick up a 1 1/2" sanitary tee sized to fit into the 4" main drain pipe that is coming from the water closet after first originating at the shower.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Bad wording of the question...basin is the last unit before exiting the building and am guessing after the P-trap the discharge line will go back a foot or so, drop down and pick up a 1 1/2" sanitary tee sized to fit into the 4" main drain pipe that is coming from the water closet after first originating at the shower.
    Hi Camel,
    "Im guessing after the P-trap the discharge line will go back a foot or so, drop down and pick up a 1 1/2" sanitary tee sized to fit into the 4" main drain pipe that is coming from the water closet after first originating at the shower"

Let me explain the way it should go. After the 2" "P" trap the discharge line will go into the wall and a 2" sanitary tee. The upper part of the tee will go (1)to a roof vent or (2) a AAV,(Air Admittance Valve). The bottom of the tee will drain directly into a 4 X 2" combo or a sanitary tee.
    Is the shower unvented also? Regards, Tom

Sep 7, 2005, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Camel,
    "Im guessing after the P-trap the discharge line will go back a foot or so, drop down and pick up a 1 1/2" sanitary tee sized to fit into the 4" main drain pipe that is coming from the water closet after first originating at the shower"

Let me explain the way it should go. After the 2" "P" trap the discharge line will go into the wall and a 2" sanitary tee. The upper part of the tee will go (1)to a roof vent or (2) a AAV,(Air Admittance Valve). The bottom of the tee will drain directly into a 4 X 2" combo or a sanitary tee.
    Is the shower unvented also? regards, Tom
    Yes, the shower is presently unvented.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2005, 07:27 AM
    Yes, the shower is presently unvented.
    If you vent the lavatory and the shower connects to the lavatory drain then the shower is wet vented. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Limited waranty deed [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between a general waranty deed and a limited waranty deed?

Is there such thing as a limited time to conceive? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi yes I was just wondering some reasons besides infertility that you might have a certain time frame you'd have to conceive in. I'm going into the doctor to see what's going on with me since I am 28 years old and it seems like I just can't conceive. One of my friends was told by there doctor that...

Limited hot water to tub/shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am ble to take an "OK" shower but when I want to take a bath I can hardly get enough hot wter to take a bath. Is there a way that I can flush out the pipes from hot wter heater to the shower? I have old iron pipes.

Diabetes: How much sugar should a diabetic limited to? [ 3 Answers ]

How much sugar should a diabetic be limited to? (gram per day or week?)

Limited Warranty Deed [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between a regular Warranty Deed and a Limited Warranty Deed for a mortgage loan?

View more questions Search