Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dan221 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Knife in the back
    My wife and I are in the process of getting a divorce. I found out this week she opened 2 credit card accounts under my name and SS#. She opened these accounts in October 2006. I found out when I received a call from a collection company. I received the call at my parent’s house, I asked them how they got their phone number and they told me that my wife gave it to them. It turns out both cards were offers sent to me in the mail. She forged my name on both accounts. She put her cell phone number on both accounts for the contact. My question is: Is there anything I can do about this since we were married?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
    The only thing you can do may get your wife in criminal trouble. You have to inform the credit cards, that you did not sign for cards, that you are the victim of identity theft.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Just to add to Scott's answer…

The CC company will insist on a police report, so you have to be prepared to go to the police and report her.

Aug 31, 2007, 02:51 PM
    I am to the point where I have no choice. I hate to see her lose her job, but I can not pay for her crime.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Does she refuse to pay? Let her pay off the cards, then close them.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Get a signed affidavit stating that the credit applications were forged and any subsequent purchases were not made with your knowledge or authorization. Indicate that it just came to your attention when you were contacted by the collection agency. Also indicate that the purchases were made b your wife and that therefore she should be responsible for payment. Lastly, be prepared to take possible criminal action against her to get a judge to order her to make restitution.

Sep 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
    I was told the only way to get this off my credit history was to press charges. I was told that Chase may want to see a police report. Could this be true?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Hello dan:

READ the answers you ALREADY got.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

2 periods back to back with large blood clots! [ 6 Answers ]

I have just stared yet another period after just ending one 5 days ago. I had major pain with the last one, I have never had that kind of pain before. Now with this period I just found an extremely large blood clot. Although it looked more like tissue then an actual bllod clot. What could this be...

Schrade cut co botton knife repair [ 2 Answers ]

For years I have had my grandfathers knife and would like to see if any one does repairs on button knives. I don't even know if it can be repaired but anyone with info can contact me I would appreciate it.

Plumbing back to back shower valves [ 5 Answers ]

I am plumbing 2 showers that share a wall (back to back). In order to get the hot and cold supplies to the proper side of each valve requires lots of twists and turns. I was advised by someone to just use ˝” male threaded connectors on the supply lines (sweat fit to copper) and then simply use...

Caught W/ Knife At Airport [ 4 Answers ]

Hi There, I Have A Few Questions About A Situation I've Recently Found Myself In. In December, 2006, I Was Flying From My Home In Monterey,ca To Visit My Parents In Toledo, Oh. When I Was Checking My Carry On Bags It Was Discovered That I Had A Switchblade Knife In My Backpack (it Was In My Pencil...

View more questions Search