Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CATAY411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Building toys of the 1960's
    I was wandering if anyone remembers a construction toy called toggle blocks that was sold in the 1960's. I had some of these but cannot find a reference to them anywhere on the net. I would like to know who manufactured them. THANKS
    e45234523 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 02:49 PM

Are you sure it was called toggle blocks? Very early 70's I had a construction set called bristle blocks. Maybe?
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Mar 23, 2009, 10:35 PM
    See # 57 at the link below:

M&A Television Commercials Toys and Games

Toggel Blocks were made by Mattel.
    xjg45rr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
    HI and yes I recall them vividly. They where colorful blocks. Blue and Green push pins/spikes. Red and Yellow roughtly 1 inch cubed blocks, with holes on 5 of the sides and a spike on another. Red panels black wheels etc. Using rubber bands the wheels could be cranked up.

There where yellow parts to squeeze and push air through tubes to move items you built and the list goes on. I played with this in the late 60's early 70's.

I believe it was a Mattle Toy.
    Arby_001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 05:27 PM
    As mentioned above, the blocks were about 1" cube. Hexagonal holes in the center of each panel. Either one or two pins that mated with the holes of other blocks and accessories. The two-pin blocks had pins on opposite sides. One of the hole panels was hinged.

The hinge was simply a piece of the plastic that allowed the panel to flex open on one side. It snapped closed requiring using another block to pry it open. The plastic used was very durable, I do not rember any of the hinges ever breaking due to over flexing. The hing set these blocks apart from Lego's since now your creations could move.

I'm surprised there is so little on the Internet about Toggle Blocks. The were sold in sets nobered 100, 200,. 500. There may have been others but I remember begging for the deluxe 500 set with the wind up spring motor.

I got the set, but my 4 year old brother managed to break the motor Christmas morning before I ever touched it. Everything else was extermely durable. This would have been around 1969.

Nov 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Yes - a more complete description of the blocks, like you I am surprised there is not more info and that Mattel could not sell more. I still have mine packed away. I am sure they are all in perfect shape.

Nov 20, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Yes - a more complete description of the blocks, like you I am surprised there is not more info and that Mattel could not sell more. I still have mine packed away. I am sure they are all in perfect shape.
    dancemantim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Been looking myself. I still have one of the figures. Has a nuts and bolts body.
    Krullman61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 03:26 PM
    I wish they made them again. I played with mine for hours & hours. This is the first time I found anything on the internet about them. I thought I must have imagined them. I look at Garage/Estate sales for them, but have never been lucky enough to find them.
    Duke1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 03:33 PM
    I wish they made them again. I played with mine for hours & hours. This is the first time I found anything on the internet about them. I thought I must have imagined them. I look at Garage/Estate sales for them, but have never been lucky enough to find them.
    Arby_001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Here's an update.

1) They were called TOG'L Blocks. There were a lot of sites when I searched on the correct name. I never would have remembered that.

2) Mattle is bring them back in a fashion.

3) This site has a lot of pictures and descriptions
    tog'l site
    flatfarm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
    I have a set of these from the 1960s. Lots of sticks, panels and cubes in great shape. I'm surprised they're so hard to come by. Mine have survived well.
    nuthinman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 10:33 PM
    I remember them. I even went to a market trial for them, to see if children would like them.
    I thought they were boring, compared to other building toys of the time. I don't think they
    Lasted long on the market.
    bobm07945 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 08:47 PM
    Remember this very well, the name was just "Toggle" I vividly remember the TV commercial demonstrating the hinged plastic blocks that came with the set. I was about 10 years old, didn't have 10 bucks to buy the set
    bristles79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
    I am surprised to find this site! My grandchildren are playing with my 500piece(well almost,LOL)set right now.Togg'le toys were made by Mattel toys in the late 60's,and my family has been playing with them ever since.I would love to buy any parts that may still be around.Still a GREAT toy,the kids play for hours!
    bristles79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 11:24 AM
    I am surprised to find this site! My grandchildren are playing with my 500piece(well almost,LOL)set right now.Togg'le toys were made by Mattel toys in the late 60's,and my family has been playing with them ever since.I would love to buy any parts that may still be around.Still a GREAT toy,the kids play for hours!
    KJB63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 03:58 PM
    Yes, I had these too, probably around 1968 or '69. My brother and I would build cars out of them, and have demolition derbies, smashing them into each other until pieces would fly off and they wouldn't roll. Great fun!!
    jfjeter3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 06:35 AM
    I was a big Toggles fan as well. Seems like every other toy in the world's all over the net but these. What?
    laurie.j62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 09:44 PM
    I absolutely loved my Toggles!! I played with them for hours upon hours (and I'm a girl)!!
    I think they should bring them back. They were awesome. I'm sure that the tiny parts (hinged blocks, wheels, metal axles, etc) would be considered a hazard in today's world (not to mention the plastic).
    emtfrank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2011, 07:06 AM
    LOL, I remember always asking for LEGOs as a kid and always getting toggels instead... they must have been cheaper!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1960's and 1970's Female Vocalists [ 7 Answers ]

If you were to create a mix tape of female pop/soft rock vocalists who were mostly popular during the 1960's and 1970's, who all would you include? I can think of singers such as Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Buffy St. Marie, Joan Baez, Helen Reddy, Roberta Flack, and Karen Carpenter. But my...

Bathroom sink faucet 1960's [ 4 Answers ]

Trying to find fixtures for an old sink... perhaps 1960 or so... very small... the unique thing is the fixtures are mounted on the inside wall of the sink the part of the sink which is against the wall but on the inside of the sink.. not on top as you see now... anybody had any experience with...

Is dye in bird toys safe? How to clean bird toys? [ 8 Answers ]

I am usually the one that helps other people with their cockatiel or bird questions but this time I am the one that needs help. I have cockatiel birds and I have many bird toys that I buy from Walmart and PetsMart and the other day when cleaning my bird cage I decided to wash the toys with water...

1960's house basement drain (s) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1960's (early) home with an unfinished, utility/storm basement which is 10' x 20'. I have owned the house for 8 months, and had a home inspection that did not find any problems with the plumbing. The water heater is located there as well as a furnace. There are two holes in the concrete...

View more questions Search