Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Erica76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 03:06 PM
    Moen Faucet problems
    The Moen faucet in my shower comes away from the wall when the shower is turned to hot and water is diverted through the shower head. How do I fix this problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica76
    The Moen faucet in my shower comes away from the wall when the shower is turned to hot and water is diverted through the shower head. How do I fix this problem?
    Hi Erica,
    Are you saying the entire valve, including the cover plate, is floating? That when you pull the knob to turn it on it then pulls away from the wall?
    Did this just happen or has it been a ongoing problem? Either the valve wasn't backed and strapped or it pulled loose. If you want to try this yourself you must remove the knob and the chrome cover plate. You will need (2) 1/2" copper pipe straps and (4)wood screws. If there's backing and the valve simply pulled away from the straps it may be as simple as screwing the straps back in thus securing the valve. If no backing you may have to open up the wall and install 2 X 4 backing to strap the valve to.
    Good luck Tom
    Erica76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 07:48 AM
    No, it is the lower portion that is coming away from the wall (i.e. the portion that water comes out of when you are filling the tub) . The control is a bar control and pressure increases as you turn the lever to the left to hot water. When you do this and then lift the device to divert the water to the shower head, the whole device pulls away from the wall (presumably from water pressure when diverting the water through to the shower head). Can run water into the tub without it happening, it is just when you try to turn on the shower head that it happens. Worked properly until this weekend.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica76
    No, it is the lower portion that is coming away from the wall (i.e. the portion that water comes out of when you are filling the tub) . The control is a bar control and pressure increases as you turn the lever to the left to hot water. When you do this and then lift the device to divert the water to the shower head, the whole device pulls away from the wall (presumably from water pressure when diverting the water through to the shower head). Can run water into the tub without it happening, it is just when you try to turn on the shower head that it happens. Worked properly until this weekend.
    Hi Erica,
    Ahh! You have a tub, not a shower. There are several ways you can address this. Look directly behind the tub in the next room. There should be a tub access hole in the wall. The drop pipe to the spout came loose from its strap on the backing that holds the spout back. If you can't get at it to restrap it perhaps you could wire it to the backing. Another way would be to to remove the spout, ( if it's attached to the pipe by a Allen head set screw located on the under side next to the wall line) and have someone push the 1/2" elbo as far forward as it will go while you reinstall the spout next to the wall. The tension will hold the spout tight while you divert water to the shower head.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen one handle , pressure prob. [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I have a MOEN faucet , ever since I installed it I was never happy with the pressure , now after 8 years it seemed worse so I took it apart to see if the screens were dirty , nothing there , when the handle is not on the flexible hose , I turn on water and I notice that when on the cold side ,...

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

Diverter valve for Moen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to replace the diverter valve (1225) on the kitchen faucet. Do I need to remove the entire faucet to do this? If so how do I do this? Thanks

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

Soldering a Moen shower valve [ 4 Answers ]

I'm new to this forum and have a question concerning the best way to solder a Moen model 62320 shower valve. Do I need to remove the cartridge? I was afraid it would get too hot and melt the o-rings. How do you know how long to heat the joint before you apply solder. It seems some of my joints are...

View more questions Search