Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Colette_Needs_Help! Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 10:19 AM
    No water upstairs! - PROBLEM SOLVED!! Cause - Air lock in water pipe
    We are replacing our bathroom. In anticipation of putting the new bath in, we turned off the stopcocks. There was a slight delay in replacing the bath so we turned the stopcock back on. Problem is, we have water downstairs but no water upstairs. There is a very slight trickle of hot water but no cold water at all. Please can someone shed some light!!

SEE BELOW FOR INFO TO RESOLVE ISSUE:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/curingairlock.htm
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Colette_Needs_Help!
    We are replacing our bathroom. In anticipation of putting the new bath in, we turned off the stopcocks. There was a slight delay in replacing the bath so we turned the stopcock back on. Problem is, we have water downstairs but no water upstairs. There is a very slight trickle of hot water but no cold water at all. Please can someone shed some light!!!
    Hi Colette,

Let me see if I have it right. Your bathroom's installed and you turned off the water to the house to run the piping but now you have no water upstairs, right? How old is your house?
    What kind of water pipes do you have? Galvanized, copper plastic?
    If this is the case it sounds like you've disturbed some crud in the pipe walls and when you turned on the upstairs valves it got sucked up and is now blocking all the seats and inlet ports of your faucets including the ballcock in the toilet.
    Shut the water back off and open up a faucet. Remove the stem assembly or cartridge and check for trash. Now turn the water back on for a minute and flush out the supply. Do you get a full stream now? If so, do this with every valve including the ballcock in the toilet. Good luck and keep me informed. Tom
    Colette_Needs_Help! Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 11:12 AM
    I think the problem is solved...
    Thanks Tom for your response. I think that the problem is an air lock in the water pipe.

For anyone else who experiences problems such as these, see the below link:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/curingairlock.htm

I'll let you know if it solves our problems!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me cool my upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a brand new 88,000 BTU heat/AC unit on my house. My downstairs is very cool but my upstairs (which has a vaulted ceiling) is very hot. I have one floor vent in my bedroom and all the vents in the upstairs are open. I have heard of a fan or blower that you can put into the floor vent...

Hot water to all areas except upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is getting no hot water but the sinks in same bathroom get hot water as well as downstairs kitchen, washer and bathrooms. One thing that might have caused this is this upstairs shower has not been used in awhile. I have one gas hot water heater located in garage. What can I do to...

Kitchen sink overflowing from upstairs water [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a two story house and my downstairs kitchen sink is overflowing every time we use the upstairs toliets, shower or washing machine. It does not overflow if we use the downstairs bathroom or dishwasher. We called a plumber to get an estimate and they said something is clogged in the drain...

No water to upstairs shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I hope someone can help! Yesterday I had only hot water running in my upstairs shower and assumed it was a valve problem.. . But this morning I have no water, not even a drip, and when I run the water in the sink in the next room it comes up the drain of the shower and does not drain back...

Heat upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into our house beginning of May. We live in the Northeast so we got some cold nights and required to turn the heat on to keep the kids warm at night. I am not to savvy on this so bare with me and ask as many questions as you like and I'll try to answer them. My house is 67years old and...

View more questions Search