Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    river3950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Ford Explorer 2002 Power Outlet never powers off my GPS
    When I shut down the car, the gps plugged into the power outlet does not shut down, even with the truck totally off. I assume this will drain the battery. Is there anyway to make the power source shut off when I shut the truck down? I really don't want to have to unplug the gps every time I shut the engine off.

Thanks
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 30, 2007, 08:26 AM
    It's my understanding that if something operates while the car isn't running, it's going off the battery and the alternator. If it shuts down as soon as the car is turned off, then it's on the alternator and not the battery at all.

I don't think there would be any way to switch it without physically changing the wiring in the car. Can your GPS shut off automatically if you don't change location for a certain amount of time? That might be the only way to go.

This is just my understanding of it, I'm not really too much of a car person.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 08:37 AM
    That socket may not be "switched"
    In other words, when you turn the key off, power remains on that socket.

This may be desirable for some use : say for example you have a powered food/bev cooler or want to keep your phone charging.

If that's the only outlet, you'll need to have another wired into a power feed that is switched and protected by a fuse or circuit breaker..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 Ford Explorer: Remove door panel to replace exterior mirror [ 6 Answers ]

I need to remove the door panel for the passenger side to replace the exterior mirror assembly. I've googled for directions or a diagram but am coming up short. Do you know if the how to for this is available somewhere online? Thanks!

2002 Ford Explorer Brake Lights Remain On After I Park And have left the Car. [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am wanting to know why my rear lights remain on after I have parked and removed my key form the ignition. I don't even use the rear lights during daytime. Leads me to believe the lights must be brake lights. Can anybody tell me why these lights remain on? After I removed the Brake...

How to troubleshoot turn signal light on 2002 Ford Explorer Sports Trac [ 2 Answers ]

Right turn signal in rear is not working. Replaced bulb but didn't help and fuse is good. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Over drive ford explorer 2002 [ 1 Answers ]

My Ford Explorer started flashing the over drive off light. What dose this mean? I have not noticed any difference in performance.

2002 ford excursion [ 1 Answers ]

Where are all the relays and fuses on the 2002 ford excursion

View more questions Search