Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Aug 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Eliminating unused local area network icon
    I have a laptop that I use exclusively with my wireless network at home. I have the wireless network icon in the lower right corner of my screen with the green broadcast signal showing a connection.

I had to do some phone tech support troubleshooting yesterday, and they had me plug in the laptop directly to the modem. Now I have this Local Area Network Unplugged icon (2 monitors with a red X between them) on all the time in the lower right corner of the screen.

Question: How can I delete the icon, without eliminating the possible need to "plug in" to the network again in the future?

Should I go to Control Panel / Network Connections, and delete (or disable) the icon there? Will that delete the software so I can't connect in the future?

Thanks
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 30, 2007, 07:34 AM
    You had the right idea. If you just go into control panel, network connections, and disable the local area connection, it won't show the icon with the red X. If you want to use it again, just go back there and enable it. It doesn't delete drivers or anything, basically just turns the card off so it isn't trying to find a connection on it.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 08:18 AM
    All you need to do is to disable the network connections. Right-click on the icon and select disable
    danm261291 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc
    I have a laptop that I use exclusively with my wireless network at home. I have the wireless network icon in the lower right corner of my screen with the green broadcast signal showing a connection.

I had to do some phone tech support troubleshooting yesterday, and they had me plug in the laptop directly to the modem. Now I have this Local Area Network Unplugged icon (2 monitors with a red X between them) on all the time in the lower right corner of the screen.

Question: How can I delete the icon, without eliminating the possible need to "plug in" to the network again in the future?

Should I go to Control Panel / Network Connections, and delete (or disable) the icon there? Will that delete the software so I can't connect in the future?

Thanks
    Go to the network connections folder in the control panel, right click the wired connection, click properties and remove the tick next to notify me when connected has limited or no connectivity.

A screen shot if this can be found here;
    http://www.sas.upenn.edu/computing/w...properties.jpg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Local area network [ 1 Answers ]

How can I access to a computer connected with my computer by lan?

Unused shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower stall in the basement and a tub/shower on the first floor both of which are rarely used. In order to keep the sewer gas from coming up I normaly run some water down the drains but ususlly don't remember till there is an odor. Is there a better way like some sort of plug or...

How to make networking faster in local area network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody, C I am managing about 20 systems in LAN but everyone complaints me that sharing is too slow and opens very late after clicking it . I am really fed up of this issue . Can you please help me out . Is there any useful solution for this issue :(

Can't find local area code [ 4 Answers ]

I can't find local area code when setting up AOL. The set-up disk has been used before with no problem on other PCs. Just installed XP Pro with SP2 the modem does connect using AOL 800 number but can't find 661 area code to set up local connection. AOL no help

View more questions Search