Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 30, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Job history vs. Mortgage?
    We're just starting to think about applying for a mortgage loan. My credit is very good and I've always had a solid work history. In the past, I've only left jobs to accept better opportunities.

My question relates to wanting to look for new employment. I do feel its time to move on in the work place. I'm sure mortgage companies look at employment history, but would it look bad if I had a solid history but left one job for another?

Ex: If I secured a new (better) job and 2 months later look for a loan, would that hurt me?

Thanks for any insight :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Job stability is definitely a factor. Even if you have been continuously employeed, but for short terms, that will lower your credit score and any lower score can affect your interest rate.

On the other hand, you might not want to look until you know where you will be working.
    Survivor

Aug 30, 2007, 06:53 AM
    Yep... just wondering if I should wait longer before I look for a new job. I guess I need motivation to stay. ;)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 08:19 AM
    The only thing id mention is a matter of petty wording. Credit score versus the rating the lender may give you.

My understanding is that your credit score is NOT affected by your employment history... technically. That is, the credit bureau does not consider whether you have had four jobs in a year or one job for forty years when calculating your score. So you shouldn't fear that your credit score will drop with a job change.

But a lender can look at more info than just the score. Employment history will be reported with the reports, and its up to the lender to decide if changes in job history warrant less favorable terms.

I'm not an expert here, but it would seem to be a completely human interpretation by the mortgage broker. If, for ex, I get a substantial raise and a higher position at a new place of work in the same town, it would seem like that shouldn't ding me too much, right? Yes, there's some uncertainty when taking a new job, but I'm guessing a reasonable lender wouldn't punish me (assume my credit is worse) for making 20K extra a year. As long as the lender can document that your previous experience qualifies you for the new position, you are golden.

If you are moving laterally... not gaining in income and just bouncing around... I think its reasonable for a lender to wonder about whether the income is stable enough to lend, though even this isn't supposed to be awful.

My understanding is that the biggest problem with changing jobs and getting a mortgage isn't that the job is changed... its when you get into a completely new profession or area of work. So mailguy to quality control manager... jump up, but the lender might wonder about your chances for success in the new job.

Don't mean to be nit-picky about wording. Just think the lenders interpretation is all that changes, not the true credit score.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Sep 1, 2007, 10:43 PM
    I have yet to see a credit score affected by employment. If you are moving from one job to another in the same field, for more money you should have no problem. The main thing is to be upfront with your loan officer. If you start the new job in the middle of processing the mortgage, the lender will want to see at least one paystub to verify the new income PRIOR to the closing. Other than that, you should be fine.
    Survivor

Sep 6, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeV Sr Loan Officer
    I have yet to see a credit score affected by employment. If you are moving from one job to another in the same field, for more money you should have no problem. The main thing is to be upfront with your loan officer. If you start the new job in the middle of processing the mortgage, the lender will want to see at least one paystub to verify the new income PRIOR to the closing. Other than that, you should be fine.
    I had wondered about that. I've seen my own credit report/score and I've never noticed even a clue about any of my job changes. So, thanks for verifying. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

CDL job and other job [ 5 Answers ]

My brother works for American Airlines and he also drives a truck for FedEx and he was pulled over and arrested for fraud because of his AA job he doesn't not drive a truck for them he works as mechanic but he does drive a truck for FedEx this is in Texas can anyone help me about this PLEASE:mad:

History [ 2 Answers ]

According to what I have learned, the X in the old spanish had the sound of the english H, or the spanish J, for that matter. That is why Mexico is pronounced Mejico and not Mecsico. The same thing goes for Texas and Don Quixote. Can you tell me what sound the J had in spanish before this...

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

View more questions Search