Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    x2scorp Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2007, 03:46 AM
    Premenopausal symptoms
    :eek: Is is natural for a woman of her 50's to have premenopausal spotting with shifting periods? How much longer will this happen?

Thanks,
    Melissa
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Yes. Completely normal. You will have periods that are spotty, you will miss periods, you will have periods that are like Niagara Falls! It is called perimenopause. The amount of time that you will experience this until you actually hit menopause varies. The usual rule of thumb is 2 to 8 years, but we are all different. I know someone who actually started going through it in their late twenties! Some people will experience perimenopausal symptoms for a lot longer than 8 years. You are in the normal range for age. Menopause is actually the day when you haven't had a period for 12 months. Here are some links to give you a better understanding of it.

Perimenopause - MayoClinic.com
    Perimenopause
    Perimenopause

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are these symptoms? [ 20 Answers ]

Hey all I'm 19 and have convinced myself I'm pregnant. I did have un protected sex on 20th of march (we were not trying for a baby). And since then I've been freaking out. In the last 2 days though I have calmed down and now want the baby, I think if I get a negative result I would acctually be...

Symptoms of what? [ 3 Answers ]

For the past week and a half, I've been waking with nausea, and throughout the day, I am unable to eat, I also have a strong fatigue feeling. I don't believe I am pregnant because I have had my period this past week. Should I see a doctor?

Are these symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

My last period started on May 20th and I haven't had a period since. My husband and I were going to try start trying to conceive in July. We did start a little early as we had unprotected sex on June 18th. We did not think anything could come of that since it was so close to what should have...

STD symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

I have several 'bumps' on my thighs.. When I was originally concerned it may be a STD or something I went to a general practitioner and he said it was just irritated hair follicles. I said okay and left it at that. I noticed (now 4 or so months later) that I still have a couple of these, and they...

Symptoms [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I'm 19 years old and well I've been waking up very thirsty in the morning everyday for a long time now, and I always go urinating frequently during they day. But I also drink plenty of water through out the day.infact, I only drink water instead of any juice or soda. Even if I drink water to...

View more questions Search