Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    You don't think that occasionally being someon else will help understand your actual self?

I also take offense to you linking alcohol with being harmful.. I have done nothing harmful under the influence.

The harmful things in my post includes actions done under the influence of drugs,alcohol etc.
    And in this I include DUI accidents/or deaths, useless fights some get into just because their senses are dulled under the influence.
    Please do not think it is a personal attack or I think you would do it.It is just a general point that people have been known to do things when under the influence of alcohol and other substances.

And about occasionally being someone else is very different from wanting to be the actual physical self of an idolised person,like fake body parts,permanent tattooing of facial features(eyeborws etc)...
    That is a whole other topic,but I do think that physically being perfect is so overrated that it is becoming unhealthy among teens(and adults) to compete in being the most beautiful (physically) and the most perfect.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma

I also don't understand when people say it's a fine line between social drinking and alcoholism, that's simply not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curleybeanswife
    Only a person who has not actually lived and breathed through a true alcoholic would utter such a line.
    I personally don't believe there is a fine line between social drinking and alcoholism, and I have lived with a serious alcoholic.

I think alcoholism is a disease caused by more factors than drink alone. If it wasn't alcohol it would be something else (I have seen this also).

I think in moderation drinking can be a very enjoyable experience which can help people open up to one another. It's about social bonding when done right. All my family drink and drank in front of me as a child. I was allowed to sip their drinks from an early age. I think this a cultural thing.

Personally I drink because I like the taste, and the relaxing effect. I'm pretty type A and my thoughts run nine to the dozen but when I drink I actually slow down a bit.

Yes I understand the damage alcohol does to the body but I am known for doing risky things like crossing roads and getting in and out of showers.

Life is risky but not taking any is no life at all.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Thank you templelane for sharing your thoughts...
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Does anyone else have stories of their own alcoholic problems which they have kicked, I wonder how it feels?

Thanks all for sharing..
    Yes,I have a lifetime of drinking stories,and another of not.

I began drinking at the age of 9,stealing whiskey from the cabinet in the house(after years of getting a "Swig" from dads,'Get me a beer' nightly escapade).(Mom always covered the wine drinking well,that's where I got the alcoholic behaviors from)

That lead to the teenage,Get high,years,and eventually the courts and rehab by 16

Drinking(and subsequent drugs use) were a totally consuming career,work,live,love,for the eternal "High"

Married by 20,divorced by 30,and finally stopped all use a few '24 hours' ago.

The mental issues(brain on drugs commercial with the frying egg in the pan... lol)take a long time (if ever)to be relieved!

A recovering alcoholic,admitting their old lifestyle in the open public is ridiculed,and judged as being a third rate citizen,even if they are recovering,not active for years,and still have a job/good relationships,etc.

Is this something I have had on my chest,sure,Sorry I felt the need to vent in here,but it does seem the best place to do it.

More later,if this is kind of the response you were looking for,let me know,
    Ken
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC
    Yes,I have a lifetime of drinking stories,and another of not.

I began drinking at the age of 9,stealing whiskey from the cabinet in the house(after years of getting a "Swig" from dads,'Get me a beer' nightly escapade).(Mom always covered the wine drinking well,thats where I got the alcoholic behaviors from)

That lead to the teenage,Get high,years,and eventually the courts and rehab by 16

Drinking(and subsequent drugs use) were a totally consuming career,work,live,love,for the eternal "High"

Married by 20,divorced by 30,and finally stopped all use a few '24 hours' ago.

The mental issues(brain on drugs commercial with the frying egg in the pan...lol)take a long time (if ever)to be relieved!

A recovering alcoholic,admitting their old lifestyle in the open public is ridiculed,and judged as being a third rate citizen,even if they are recovering,not active for years,and still have a job/good relationships,etc.

Is this something I have had on my chest,sure,Sorry I felt the need to vent in here,but it does seem the best place to do it.

More later,if this is kind of the response you were looking for,let me know,
    Ken
    Ken,
    Thank you for sharing.

This is the best place to vent, I am sure.
    You will find many supportive members who have been through similar experiences and being anonymous makes it easier too.

Is it any better now?
    How are you dealing with your past, not how others look at you,but how do you look at yourself?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Ken,
    Thank you for sharing.

This is the best place to vent, I am sure.
    You will find many supportive members who have been through similar experiences and being anonymous makes it easier too.

Is it any better now?
    How are you dealing with your past, not how others look at you,but how do you look at yourself?
    Yes,it is a lot better(just came in from a meeting)

As for dealing with the past,I can't change it, so dealing with it is all in acceptance of it!Life does go on(see my post A little shaky)Acceptance and memories are 2 tough characters to combat with in any addicts/alcoholics life(or you 'normies','earth people'... :D )

Myself image as not only an alcoholic,but also bi-polar,is sometimes a very low,sometimes almighty.My image is sometimes,"Well,I have overcome this hurdle,whats next?"
    Other times is,"If this is all there is,whats the use?"
    Sound familiar? Almost sounds,well,HUMAN right?

Acceptance,(as my sponsor says)is the key.

More later,
    Ken
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 01:41 PM
    I agree will everything jilleanb said but add I have known many teens and young adults that swore they would never ever be like their alcoholic or abusive parent but that is exactly how they end up because it is learned behavior and they don't know anything else.
    I have known some who have made an honest effort at wanting to be a parent or spouse but they had no idea where to begin and ended up never coming home or coming home and making the whole family miserable because they had no idea of how to act any different than their parents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I Drink Too Much? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I really like drinking, if it were up to me I would drink 24/7. I usually drink on weekends and if so, I drink a lot. Like I'll have up to 6 or 7 drinks of my own. If I happen to have the money to buy booze on a weekday I will but I drink less then (like 3 or 4 drinks) but only because of the...

Can I drink this [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased on eBay a bottle of cherry marnier liqueur about 30 years old. It is unopened, never opened and around 48 proof Is it safe to drink

Alcohol: 70% or 99%? [ 1 Answers ]

For cleaning keyboards, door knobs/handles, table tops, etc. Which is better, the 70% or the 99%?

View more questions Search