Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwarney Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Ballast Hum
    We recently added new office space in the basement of our home. I bought three fluorescent fixtures 48" with 4 T-8 32 watt bulbs in each one. These were Home Depot's "Best" quality with electronic ballasts and were supposed to be "noise free." Well, the first thing I noticed when they were switched on, was the annoying "hum!" I thought electronic ballasts were not supposed to make noise. Does anyone know why they might produce this annoying hum?

Thanks in advance
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
    They may be a hybrid ballast. Which means it is a combination magnetic coil and electronics. These may hum as they still have magnetic coil in them.

But if it is a true electronic ballast, the noise must be the high frequency hum or buzz, that is getting amplified by the metal housing of the fixture.

Does the housing have any screws or clips that can be tightened?

I will tell you, I have hundreds of fluorescent light fixtures installed and never a peep.

I believe HD sells Lithonia fixtures, which are typical, popular, and I use them also. I don't get them from HD, but through distributors, but they all should be coming from the same factory.

Can you provide the model number of the fixture and the ballast?
    mwarney Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply tk...

Yes, they are Lithonia fixtures. I don't have the boxes anymore but inside the lamp cover the sticker says "Lithonia 987213 model LB4 32 120 1/4 GESB" The Ballast says "AcuPro Model AP-RC-432IP-120." I checked for loose screws but everything appears to be snug. It is definitely an electronic "buzz" coming from all three fixtures. They cost $54.95 each from HD. I figured for that price they ought to be decent quality. I will take them down and bring them back to the store if necessary, but it seems odd that all three fixtures are making noise.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Probably some off shore ballast and the right combination of loose housing to cause the high frequency noise to be audible.

Sure, bring them back, like I said I can't say I know what one sounds like as I have been around 1000's of new fixtures that are quiet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ballast [ 7 Answers ]

What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:

New ballast bad? [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a 4 bulb light fixture in the grage (110V) using a 4 bulb ballast. The problem I'm having is one bulb doesn't come on. I've changed bulbs and still the samething. I'm thinking it probably the ballast. Any ideas? Omar

Ballast question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a ballast that works on 240 volt normal single phase house power. My question is will it work in a warehouse that is 240 volt power. The supply is 600 volt 60 amp. My understanding is this is 3 phase power. How does that work? Also what is the difference between single...

480 volt ballast [ 1 Answers ]

Hello currently looking at setting up 480 volt 1000 watt high pressure sodium ballasts. Primary power is 600 volts 60 amp. From that what is the max amps I can use at 480 volts? A qualified electrition will be doing that part... then the trick will be working with the wiring and setting up...

Modifying a HPS ballast, spooky! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi chaps, I have a 400W Metal Halide bulb and ballast. The bulb socket is permanantly attached to the end of the ballast and the unit is designed to hang vertically from the opposite end of the ballast. I would like to separate the ballast from the bulb by two meters. I have opened the ballast...

View more questions Search