Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessica_sheen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Toilet tank fills when water valve is off
    My toilet tank fills (not immediately after fludhing, but within an hour) even though the water valve is turned off. What could the issue be and can I easily fix this myself?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
    The valve is bad or may have an obstruction. You can attempt to "flush" the water line or change the valve.

XenoSapien
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 06:17 PM
    I agree likely it is a leaky valve, but you shouldn't need to change the whole thing. You will need shut the water off someplace before the valve. Unless you know the hot water tank has an expansion tank, if you shut the main cold water valve off, you need to open a hot water tap. Either the inlet or outlet of a hot water heater must alwaysbe open. Then unscrew the nut between the handle and valve, and remove the valve stem. It may be dirty, or have a bad rubber washer. Clean and replace if needed. Put the nut back on and turn the hot water off everything else back on.

Note, the seat the rubber washer fits against must be smooth. If not, it must be replaced if possible, or the whole valve replaced. To replace the valve, first unscrew the nut holding the tubing going up to the tank. Then sign 2 wrenches, hold the pipe coming out of the wall While unscrewing the valve.

Questions? Post back.
    jessica_sheen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Thanks for both of your responses. It sounds like it's not a big deal - that it can wait (we just might lose a little water and pay a little higher bill) a couple months until my dad can fix it.

Would you agree it could wait a couple of months?

We were also advised to bend the pole with the ball on the end slightly so that less water fills in the tank (i.e. below the safety drain tube (I know that's not the correct name).

Thanks again.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Maybe I misunderstood your question. My directions are for the valve below the tank. If it is the valve inside, that is different. If it is a problem, take a look at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...et-123542.html None of this stuff is too hard to work on. Look over the job and post back with questions.
    DaPlUmBeRGuY Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Either the supply line is blocked with calcium or rust? Perhaps the diaphragm is dirty , or the port(waterway)? It's self is blocked . Most quick solution buy a fluid master ballcock kit and replace the ballcock and the flapper for safe measure ! Rather simple feat !
    If you should take the task... when you turn off your angle stop or even have one? Check pressure at that point before replacing ? Can be a pressure problem !
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Mar 7, 2008, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica_sheen
    Thanks for both of your responses. It sounds like it's not a big deal - that it can wait (we just might lose a little water and pay a little higher bill) a couple months until my dad can fix it.

Would you agree it could wait a couple of months?

We were also advised to bend the pole with the ball on the end slightly so that less water fills in the tank (i.e. below the safety drain tube (I know that's not the correct name).

Thanks again.
    Bending the pole is very risky. If you do this, get someone who has done it before.

XenoSapien

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Toilet tank valve turned off and its still leaking! [ 1 Answers ]

I really need help. I live in a two story row home, and my upstairs toilet tank leaks into my downstairs dining room ceiling whenever it is used. We have controlled this problem by keeping the valve shut off at the tank. But now the valve is turned off but the toilet is still making water sounds...

Water Heater... is There A Blow Back Valve To Prevent The Tank From Going Dry And [ 8 Answers ]

Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry in a water heater. I live in a community where the water is constantly being shut off and the element burns out. Is there a type off blow back valve that can be installed to prevent the tank from going dry.

View more questions Search