Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUNNYPOO4 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First he does not have to have "God Parents" while it is great to have them, it is not a set requirement. The only real requirement is that he was baptized. They are wanting some proof. So that may be why they are asking for God Parents who can testify he was baptized.
    It does not matter what church baptised him, only that he was, They do not require a 2nd baptism.
    First of all "thank you" so much for replying... I do wish for my son to have some further Religious education as I find he Does have a "spiritual gift" and if it is that he wants to be a Pope or a Priest.. It is something I would love to have him do and have in the family.

The God Parents were not present at his "emergency Baptizmal" in the hospital. It was done by some Priest that came by asking if we wanted "prayer" We asked for both Prayer and Baptizmal... When I called the church that this Priest was from, they mentioned they could send the records to the church I was sending him to.

The church I wanted to send him to ( a Catholic church) did ask for more paperwork. My mother in law and myself did everything we could.

Is it possible I could try something else now that he is older and the age appropriate for classes (btw he was ready last year... he already knew how to cross himself... and he identified certain Saints and knew two prayers by heart and was extremely attentive).

Aug 30, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Last night, just to see what my sons vocabulary was like,. (we play this game... something I made up on a road trip... we go down the alphabet... naming anything and everything that starts with that letter) we were asking my 3 year old last night.. as we approached the letter "C". My son says "van". Then I started to think,. we have a Chrysler... we went to the letter "g" and he tells us "fence" as fence and gate in flash cards are pictured the same...

Made us think... just how ABSTRACT of a Thinker is he?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Sounds like memorization. Not abstract. He remembered where he saw the letter and he told you. I know what you want for him but now you may be reading too much into everything he says

Aug 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    sounds like memorization. not abstract. he remembered where he saw the letter and he told you. I know what you want for him but now you may be reading too much into everything he says
    My mother in law spoke with some Bishops... about him... they said he is being "guided"
    Spiritually...

Don't know what you read into this... well, it just comes up.. we don't "push him" he does this on his own!! So call it what you will...

A lot of people are drawn to him.

He has something "special",. and I intend to encourage him ,just as I do with my other children... if it is something they are interested in, I will encourage not "Push" we aren't those "type" of parents...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYPOO4
    last night, just to see what my sons vocabulary was like,... (we play this game... something I made up on a road trip... we go down the alphabet... naming anything and everything that starts with that letter) we were asking my 3 year old last night.. as we approached the letter "C". My son says "van". Then I started to think,.. we have a Chrysler... we went to the letter "g" and he tells us "fence" as fence and gate in flash cards are pictured the same....

made us think.... just how ABSTRACT of a Thinker is he?
    Sounds like a typical 3 year old. You are thinking way too much into this.

As parents we like to think that our children are gifted. It really is not always a good thing if they are actually. Children go through stages of development, some children reach these milestones earlier than others, but that does not mean that they are gifted.

They will reach one milestone way ahead of their peers, but may stay in that stage longer than another toddler. This is all a process of development.

It is actually very hard and can be quite traumatic on a child if they are given the label of "gifted," as it follows them throughout school and they are expected to achieve higher than other children and can be detrimental to their psyche if they do not perform as well as expected by their elders.

**EDIT**

Children ALL go through periods of abstract and concrete thinking, this will change with age.

Aug 30, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Sounds like a typical 3 year old. You are thinking way too much into this.

As parents we like to think that our children are gifted. It really is not always a good thing if they are actually. Children go through stages of development, some children reach these milestones earlier than others, but that does not mean that they are gifted.

They will reach one milestone way ahead of their peers, but may stay in that stage longer than another toddler. This is all a process of development.

It is actually very hard and can be quite traumatic on a child if they are given the label of "gifted," as it follows them throughout school and they are expected to achieve higher than other children and can be detrimental to their psyche if they do not perform as well as expected by their elders.

**EDIT**

Children ALL go through periods of abstract and concrete thinking, this will change with age.

Well I am sure you are right about "periods of abstract thinking"

b.c that could be just for that time... that he was thinking this way...

But spiritually, I do think this kid has "something" the eagerness spiritually in a child this age.. is rather complex...

It is something I ignored many times.. and "fluffed off" as.. "maybe he heard this somewhere or saw it",. but when he went into depth with some of his biblical stories... (re- enacting as if he was truly there),. I didn't have to say a word... My Husband even sees it... it would make him get "chills" too,.

For the longest time, I thought it was just me or "all in my head",. but when ,my husband (a skeptical person for anything.. unless he has proof) mentioned (and I didn't say a word to him)mentioned... that is was odd for his age to know these things... and that he actually believes that our son "is spiritually gifted",. wasn't just me... and you know, other family members notice it as well.. (non practicing catholics, and skeptics at that)

He may be typical in other ways.. but not this... It's too obvious and too complex for a kid his age...

How often do you see a 5 year old speak of biblical stories as if he were there? How often do you hear of a child so eager into Religion or spirituality?

B.c I don't see it often!

But I do see it in him... and where ever it is coming from I believe we are "blessed" everyone in this family!
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Believe what you may and GOD bless you. Just be aware ofd the stigma you may create for him may be very hard to live up to and can result in future depression, succide, drug use and such as he realizes that he is unable to live up to your fantasy!

Aug 30, 2007, 05:51 PM
    beleive what you may and GOD bless you. just be aware ofd the stigma you may create for him may be very hard to live up to and can result in future depression, succide, drug use and such as he realizes that he is unable to live up to your fantasy!
    "fantasy"you right... you know if he ended up just being a regular ole' guy with a regular job, and wife and kids, I would be just as "Blessed" I wouldn't love him any different,. so long as my son wanted to do this was happy

I wonder are you of faith?. because it sounds you don't believe in God or Christ...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I have to agree with danielsMommy in a sense.

You are creating a stigma, if you will, where he will feel that he must live up to your expectations, and he may not be able to you. This can set a toddler up for mental and emotional disaster.

I see you beginning to get upset here, and that really is not necessary as we are trying to help you look outside the box.

Your child may very well be religiously gifted, but remember, here you are going to get advice as well as admonishment since not all people believe the way you do.

From my vast experience, as well as education, I do see that you may be setting him up for disaster, and you for disappointment.

Just let him be. Let him be a child. If he is gifted in this matter, then it will continue. But to push the envelope only begs for problems down the road.

I have very little doubt about what is going on here. He may very well be "gifted," but please don't label him. This can be seriously detrimental in his future.

Let him be a child. Let him experience what all children deserve to experience. Stop pushing and expecting.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Bunnypoo4, I am indeed a Minister and have been ordained for 2/1/2 years. I am speaking also from the view of a mother of a 41/2 year old and as an educator. I hold a masters in Early childhood education. Does that qualify me in your eyes to issue a statement of what I believe. It is my opinion, not that of GOD or any divine being.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Is your child 3 or 5? I'm confused... you refer to him as both ages in present tense. Im just trying to clarify.

Aug 31, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    is your child 3 or 5? im confused...you refer to him as both ages in present tense. Im just trying to clarify.
    No he is 5 now,. but all this started when he was 3 years old... he has continued to show an eagerness and interest for for two years now... in the spiritual sense... (which we thought he would outgrow but appearantly that isn't the case here)
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Ok, just because you said "last night" when you were talking about him being 3, it confused me...

I agree with the others. He may be gifted, he may be very observant, but wither way, he obviously has an interest. I would get him into classes, at least CCD. But I agree with Noahsmommy about just letting him be a five year old for now. You will create a stigma if you aren't careful.

Aug 31, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Bunnypoo4, i am indeed a Minister and have been ordained for 2/1/2 years. I am speaking also from the view of a mother of a 41/2 year old and as an educator. I hold a masters in Early childhood education. does that qualify me in your eyes to issue a statement of what I believe. It is my opinion, not that of GOD or any divine being.
    It answers the question.. but I think you have me all "misunderstood",. If my son brings up anything "spiritually" I tend to "brush it off" then talk it over with my husand in private... he does the same... we don't even bring it up in front of him... b.c for the time being, we are just "waiting" to see how long this will go on... We don't make a big deal of it... in front of him... we will ask him where he gets his info.. but we don't make a "big deal"

For the most part we "down play" this in front of him... but "behind the scenes" we talk about it... (when he isn't around)

I have had teachers... and school administrators "make a big deal" esp on career day when he choose to dress as a "priest"

But I don't label him... neither does anyone in the family for that matter... "labeling" can be detrimental... esp for a child... and for me... I don't care if he is "gifted" or not I am just happy he is alive and healthy... as he was a preemie and I had many complications with him... and all of this after the lose of two brothers of mine...

When he speaks of "God talking to him" I just ask what is said... and then end it there.

If he should ask.. of prayer request... or to read something from the bible I will... and I try to explain the best I can. Just to satisfy his curiousity... and then I leave it alone.

I think what I am more concerned about is his passive nature... there are many bullies in school... and they prey upon his passiveness... b.c he isn't one to start fights or get any one into trouble, he won't stand up for himself... he doesn't say anything... He isn't one for any type of contact sports boxing, football, soccer... if he sees any type of aggressive nature he doesn't want to participate.

Even though he isn't one for "conflict", last year he didn't like his soccer coach and we haven't a clue why... from the very first time we attended soccer he made up his mind he didn't like this man... we stayed for every practice and game... and he never engaged in the game... as he isn't one for contact sports either.

He will often speak of my deceased brothers... as if they are here in this world... saying things like " I miss Uncle Scott or Uncle Troy" I keep telling him he never met them... he says he talks to them... and he misses them...

I don't know what to think sometimes... and this is why I asked the question about "spiritual giftedness"... not b.c I am trying to "push him" but b.c I notice something's that aren't usual or typical for a kid his age...

I taught pre k and I have four children. Each different and special in their own way. I even have a 12 year old daughter whom was tested and is "bright". So given my experience with children his age and younger, And older.. and noticing something "different"...

This is again why I wondered about "spiritual giftedness" I don't hear of it often...

Again I don't push or label my child... these are things that just come up with him... all the time... on his own...

Aug 31, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Ok, just because you said "last night" when you were talking about him being 3, it confused me...

I agree with the others. He may be gifted, he may be very observant, but wither way, he obviously has an interest. I would get him into classes, at least CCD. But I agree with Noahsmommy about just letting him be a five year old for now. You will create a stigma if you arent careful.
    We do let him be his "typical" 5 year old... we don't push or label... we know what that can do... as we have four children... one of them tested as "bright" another ambidextorous... but we don't make "big deals " about them... just encourage to do the best they can in school and special interest

If he should bring up God or Christ or even speak of my deceased brothers... we answer what we can... and leave it alone.

I asked the question of "spiritaul giftedness" b.c I haven't really heard of it too often...

And because he has been doing this since age 3 and still continues... I know I can't say he is... or not... b.c I am not one to make that decision... I don't have physcological practices of any sort nor a great deal of religious practices sooo I wouldn't know...

But I do know it is "different" and it is something "he has" expressed interest in...

I do know children will often go through periods of "where is God"? " life and death and ask questions such as that...and for the longest time I figured "oh its just a phase",... but other strange things kept coming up with this kid

the stories my son has told... (re enacting the Nativity and Era when Christ was crucified) ... and he has never been taught ( we are a huge family of non practicing Catholics)... , his extremely passive nature, and the fact that he mentions God talks to him, as well as my deceased brothers....

when he was 3 he spoke of a child named "jack" (at our old residence) whom he mentioned was not a good child ... he was a bad spirit that would come to him at night and tell him to do bad things... He told us that he told this "jack" that Jesus and God didn't like those bad things and he refused to be "bad". He told us he was a kid that drowned there.. or was buried in a grave next to our house.... (at the time our backyard,... there was a graveyard)

During this time, he refused to sleep in his room, drew strange pictures of this "jack" ... and would sleep with my husband and I or his other siblings... All we thought was "imaginary friend" but we couldn't figure out why this "jack" character would tell him such awful things...

when we moved.... the "jack" visits ceased

He says he remembers him but doesn't like to speak of him... and is glad he is gone.

so it was just a question on my mind about this "spiritual giftedness"....:confused:

nothing I dwell on in front of him... I just go about the "usual":)
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 07:15 AM
    We all get the same opinion of what you are trying to say and or do. And clearly it appears that you are pushing him no matter how subtly, its still pushing. If it is to be it will. Between your daughter and yourself you will make him an outcast. Try to explore different options for him. Maybe karate, gymnastics, something to show him that he can have other interests in life

Aug 31, 2007, 08:45 AM
    He is by no means an "outcast" nor is my daughter or myself trying to make him one...

My older daughter isn't even around my son often... as she comes and goes... my ex husaband and I share custody.. sooo clearly you don't understand.

My older daughter participates in normal school classes and activities and isn't labeled in school... or at home...
    Call it what you will but we "are" a typical home environment... WE DON'T PUSH OR LABEL!! Yet we teach our children to do the best they can in school and to have fun no matter what.

I have to admit I had my son in soccer last year... he didn't want to complete it... but for him (I had to instill this in him as he was a preemie and muscle cordination was something he needed work with) I didn't push, but I told him he had to finish out the season... and at least participate (when he could even if it was just to kick the ball once) and "give it a try" when he felt like it...

I do believe when it comes to sports and extra cirricular athletics, I don't believe in having the children "give up" b.c it is more an expierience.. they get... but if it is just sitting around and watching other kids participate and they aren't really interested... at least get the social aspect out of this activity they participate in... and learn about it...

And the next season if they show no interests,. I do not enroll them in that same activity.

I don't believe in my children "giving up" on anything. I don't think it classifies me as "pushy"... I believe in finishing what you start... COMPLETING the TASK AT HAND! As this can throw off the wrong idea... and they begin to think slacking in other things means you can slack in school. It gives them the "okay" that is not wrong to slack.

I believe if the child shows an interest in something and continues... then, take initiative, see how the child likes it... and let the child EXPLORE as it helps them to learn...

I have met some "pushy"parents in my sons class last year,. and I think it to be wrong and it doesn't give the child a chance to grow and be a kid... they start too feel inadequate if they don't meet expectations... and therefore causing a great deal of insecurity...

And so with this in mind, if my son shows interests,. I ask him if it something he really wants to do or to continue with... If he shows the slightest interest... depending on the situation (like with his soccer) I may or may not proceed with it... (with the soccer, it was more important for him to participate... physically his pedi mentioned he needed more physical activity to help with muscle cordination... ) so I went with it... but if during games or practices , I noticed he didn't want to participate, I let him sit it out and try again if he wanted...

Again you clearly don't understand... Karate is something we are going to put him in (next week)... to help defend himself and stand up for himself as he has difficulty with this...

He is no "outcast"... I find every one of my children "special" just as every child in this world have "speical qualities"

Every child.. to be a child of "God" and a "blessed gift from God"

Clearly you don't understan our situation... for what it is... we don't push our children.. it is just a question I asked... we don't discuss this or sit at the table and have this kid recite things from the bible... nor do we bring it up... we go about our day in the normal way... talk about school and activities... watch age appropriate movies together and read children books together like all parents out there do for their children... and sometimes you get the occasional stories from the older kids about how other kids act at school and their teachers... just like kids do... all four of my children... they play just as any other siblings do and are very protective of one another... no ONE person is an OUTCAST or the BLACK SHEEP! We just do what we DO!!
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 08:58 AM
    She isn't saying you are "pushing him" but you are clearly asking people and churches and priests about him. You are here getting clarification on whether he is gifted, so in your mind, you see something More special to him. We are saying that this can actually come out and he will see that you expect more of him (maybe you do it unconciously) Does it really matter if he is gifted or not, do you need someone to tell you that. We are saying, just go about your normal daily routine, and don't worry about it... it will come out when he is older and he may benefit from it, on his own, then. No disrespect meant or anything, it is just opinion. Good luck

Sep 1, 2007, 08:27 AM
    she isnt saying you are "pushing him" but you are clearly asking people and churches and priests about him. You are here getting clarification on whether he is gifted, so in your mind, you see something More special to him. We are saying that this can actually come out and he will see that you expect more of him (maybe you do it unconciously) Does it really matter if he is gifted or not, do you need someone to tell you that. we are saying, just go about your normal daily routine, and dont worry about it...it will come out when he is older and he may benefit from it, on his own, then. no disrespect meant or anything, it is just opinion. good luck
    Well why I think it to be "different"... I only approached one priest about this... and one church... sooo and as far as people... this is the only forum I have gone to about this... and asked... So I don't really bring it up... I know my mother in law tends to go to her church and speaks of it more often than I... But that is where she lives...

I guess just the question as to if this was a form of "giftedness" was the only thing with me...

But like I said I have only gone to one priest to speak of this and one church... the same church in which I spoke with the priest... I tried at that time to get him into CCD classes but he was too young.. and they needed his Batizmal records that were at another church and I had and to this day still have difficulty with... b.c they wanted more paper work from the God Parents... It seemed like I had to jump through all these "hoops" and to me, if this is something someone wants to know or learn more about, it shouldn't be this way.

And coming to everyone on this forum I was just enquiring.. b.c maybe there was someone out there with the similar thing going on or maybe some advice as to how to either encourage or how to take it... b.c some of the things he says are "different" I don't want to be negative but positive. I basicially want to go with the "flow" with things but again I don't want to discourage something good... for the time being I have just let it be for the most part and I do nothing... "waiting to see" if this should continue...

Actually in my mind, like I said it wouldn't bother me if he was gifted or not... giftedness is nice but I do know it has it's disadvantages too... my older brother was highly gifted but lacked common sense and it seemed like he got into trouble a lot in school b.c he wasn't being "challanged" , my older daughter has the same problem... lack of common sense. And on a daily routine at home I notice both my older brother and my older daughter had difficulty with the simpiliest tasks... ooookay so not to "put down either one" but I do know that being "gifted" has a lot of disadvantages.

I don't think my son expresses the educational "giftedness"... I don't see it... but spiritually I see some things I can't say are considered "gifted" b.c like I said I am not a professional to make that decision. I know the Priest I spoke with said that he believed "God did speak to him"... and a Nun told me the same... they did mention they felt he was "spritually gifted"

It's just b.c he mentions "God" a lot, I don't know how to approach this... I don't know about "spiritual giftedness"... I don't label... I don't know how to react... it's kind of like a preacher that constantly mentions "god" in daily life... this is what he does... I do feel awkard... b.c I simply don't know how to approach it...

This is why I came to everyone here...
    spiritchaser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
    I was borne an indigo child(psychic) where I would see and hear people whom were in the spirit world. I would see a glowing life force all around the living and would know things that were going to happen. My mother never discouraged my gifts but she also did not encourage my gifts. Unfortunately I felt like something was missing in my life until recently when I become part of the spiritual community and started sharing my gift of healing with others. It took too long though I'm 31 now and should have been helping heal and read people since my teens. I recommend that you encourage his wisdom and his gifts. Start with a spiritualist church near you. It is a religion that is based upon encouraging gods spiritually gifted people in a non-religious way if that makes sense. They allow people to be themselves and are very loving and accepting. I wish I had been part of one since childhood. My nephew is also indigo he's 7 now. I am the only one who truly understand him and I'm so glad I can make him feel like he is special. Visit my website if you have any more questions.My contact information is there http://www.kellieroy.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old gifted or very bright? [ 60 Answers ]

Hi everyone, The director of the day care where my son goes twice a week believes that he may be gifted. She wants to have him assessed. I have done a lot of reading up on this subject, and have looked at the characteristics of gifted children... but I am still not sure if he is just very...

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

Spiritually Mature? [ 22 Answers ]

To be "spiritually mature" is to be a Christian who applies the word of God to all aspects of his life and displays the fruitage of the spirit as described in the Bible which he receives because he loves goodness and sincerely wishes to please his creator. This criterion if followed would be...

Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. ...

Inclined plane [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how to calculate force transferred from the perpendicular to horizontal assuming zero friction. Example: 10 pounds of verticle force applied to a 30 degree plane will move the plane horizontally with how much force? Or to put it another way, how much force is lost in the example, and...

View more questions Search