Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2007, 04:13 AM
    Michael Johnson-Fastest man ever?
    When Michael Johnson ran 19.32secs for the 200m in Atlanta 96', taking into account he ran a bend but was already hitting top speed when entering the second 100, would his average speed in this race have been fast enough to better the current 100m record of 9.77secs? Is there anyway of working this out? Any thoughts? :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 04:16 AM
    100/9.77 = 10.235 m/s

200/19.32 = 10.351 m/s

So according to your data, yes Johnson ran at a faster average speed.

This could be due to many reasons: Track conditions? Wind speed and direction?

You can't compare the results directly without all of the information.
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    100/9.77 = 10.235 m/s

200/19.32 = 10.351 m/s

So according to your data, yes Johnson ran at a faster average speed.

This could be due to many reasons: Track conditions? Wind speed and direction?

You can't compare the results directly without all of the information.
    Thanks for your reply Capuchin.
    I was already aware that Johnson ran the faster race, another way would be to halve his time of 19.32secs to work out his average time for each 100m... 9.66secs.
    But is there a way of taking the bend (a disadvantage), and his flying start over the second 100 (an advantage), into consideration, forgetting about wind speed/direction and track conditions as both were within the legal requirements?
    One other factor to consider would be are 200m runners able to run flat out throughout the entire race? Im not sure. Off the top off my head I cannot think of anything else to take into account, I don't even know if Im making any sense!
    One argument for Johnson would be none of the top 100m runners over the years have come close to his 19.32secs, I think the next best time is 19.65secs although I may be wrong on this.
    sara Kersten-Murphy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Hi Deniro,

I know it sounds like Michael johnson could have achieved greater speeds and maintaining it over the 200m then the best 100 meter person (assafa powel) world record holder over 100m of 9.77. Actually, the second 100m would have been a flying time (meening the athlete is already at full spead when he commes around the bend towards the first 100m mark). And requires a full acceleration at the start form 0 speed to reach 10 meters + per second.

For argument sake:

If Michael johnson ran the first 100m in 10.32 (that is going from 0 speed to full accretion and top speed)

Then:

His second 100-meters would be a flying 100m that is (already coming towards the line off the bend at top speed) possibly making the second 100m in 9.00 seconds giving him an over all time of 19.32 for the full 200m

Sara
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Mar 7, 2008, 11:33 AM
    If you remember, both Michael Johnson and Donovan Bailey set world records in 1996 for the 200 m and 100 m respectively. This was widely debated at that time since both runners wanted to be recognized as the fastest human.

They had a winner take all race over a distance of 150 m and guess who won. Yes, the Canadian won the race taking the bragging rights.

Sara is completely right with her statement. If you check the tapes, you'll find that Johnson's time over the first 100 m was much slower than Bailey's time of 9.84. Of course his second 100 m is way faster since he's already at full speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyndon b johnson speech implies that america prosperity [ 3 Answers ]

The task of economic policy is to create a prosperous America. The unfinished task of prosperous Americans is to build a Great Society. Our accomplishments have been many; these tasks remain unfinished: > to achieve full employment without inflation; > to restore external equilibrium and defend the...

Hunter 44360 thermostat to a johnson [ 3 Answers ]

We hooked all the wires except blue, black, and brown and are A/C still ont kick on? We have Green -g Red- rc Rc-rh Yellow-y/o White-w/b Orange-y1 Is it hooked up right and our compressor is just shot?

Johnson 200 HELP ? [ 2 Answers ]

First problem we had was debris in the gas tank, so we replaced the main filler hose, and cleaned the tank out. Replaced the water separator, then we changed the fuel pump and filter, and then the spark plugs. Also the reason why we changed the fuel pump was because it was out dated and...

View more questions Search