Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momtoafew Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2005, 02:01 PM
    Itunes (ipod) problem, and question
    I have an iPod which obviously uses itunes. I have successfully downloaded up to 1000 songs, both from my old cd's and from itunes, etc. Today I was trying to download 10 cds I borrowed from the library. One of them, just was giving me problems. The import icon wouldn't come on (just the browse icon). The cd was able to be loaded into my Dell MusicMatch, but since I NEVER use Dell musicmatch, it's no good for me! Why would itunes/ipod not recognize a cd (even when musicmatch does). I was getting an error message that the cd was blank, etc. (duh... it's not blank it's a new 2005 CD). Then looking at the cd more closely I noticed a label "FBI Anti-piracy warning".. . I thought, maybe itunes can't read these new cd's and we nolonger can download cd's (even if we own them). But why would Dell's Music Match be able to download them??
    Anyway, I have the song I want in my computer files, but how do I get this song from my computer files to my itunes area? All I want to do is have this one song on my iPod, and not sure what to do! :o
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2005, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Momtoafew
    Today I was trying to download 10 cds i borrowed from the library.
    Sorry, But that would be piracy. You really shouldn't ask or expect us to help you in what is essentially theft of copyrighted material.

Scott<>

Sep 4, 2005, 10:34 AM
    Whatever dude
    If you go to any local library, they're putting limits on the number of cd's one can check out, because 99% of the people checking out the cd's are dowloading them to something like an iPod! They don't want Mr. Smith coming in and checking out 100 Rolling Stones, Beatles, and Led Zepplin cd's as there wouldn't be enough to go around to the others in the library district. Yeah, it's not exactly "right" to not buy the cd's, I get you... but I spend about $500 a year on music, whether I'm buying cd's, buying itunes, etc. so boo hoo hoo to the record companies. They should be happy with my $500.

Anyway, I found a way the answer to my post, and wanted to post my findings here, if anyone else is experiencing the same problems with musicmatch and itunes.

To move a song from MusicMatch into Itunes:
    1)Open Itunes
    2)Open your "my music" folder by clicking the Windows Start button, then clicking my music.
    3)Arrange the windows to view both the Itunes window and the my music folder.
    4)"Drag" your musicmatch song from the "my music" folder and drop in the "library" of itunes.
    :)

Sep 4, 2005, 10:40 AM
    PS Scott!
    While it's on my mind... I really don't think borrowing cd's and burning them to an iPod is illegal, as I (and everyone else) am a taxpayer into my local library system, thus my tax dollars, late fee charges, donations, etc. would be looked upon as payment for services of the library, thus PAYING FOR MY MUSIC!

Ever think of it that way? :)

Sep 4, 2005, 11:58 AM
    First, I am very sure that many people are doing what you describe. That doesn't make it right. Second, many people rationalize their music piracy similarly but stating they spend a lot of money already or the music companies charge too much, etc. That doesn't change the fact that you are still stealing. I pay a lot of money for gas for my car. Does that justify my stealing a few gallons? Thievery is thievery no matter how you try to rationalize.

Finally, there is no question that it is illegal. The material is under copyright protection. When you borrow material from a library, you do so for a limited period. What you pay in library taxes is to have material available for borrowing (and yes I did look at it that way). It does not justify making copies. Ask your librarian (if you dare) whether its legal or not.

Copyrights exist to prevent misuse of copyrighted material. Copying material without permission is illegal.

Scott<>

Sep 4, 2005, 03:06 PM
    Apples and oranges...
    I flat out tell my librarian that I'm taking home 10 cd's to burn onto itunes. She tells me she does the same thing, as does every other flipping person. Most libraries now even ENCOURAGE you to download their audio books! Just type in a search on Google something to the effect of "public libraries download cd's, etc.". Why would an audio book be any different than a cd? Your gasoline example is well, basically, apples and oranges. I don't use my ipod's music in say, a business like a clothing store where, say, stores use Musac and other sound systems to pipe music into their stores... they pay huge fees, as there music is basically used to get more business into the store. My iPod is attached to my body while I'm on a treadmill. There's no personal gain, other than my enjoyment of the music.
    :)

Sep 4, 2005, 03:37 PM
    I find it shocking that a librarian would tell you to break the law as well as admit they do it themselves. Yes I know "everybody does it". Well not everyone, there are still some honest people in the world. And that excuse doesn't make it right.

Nor does it matter completely what you use the music for. It is legal to make copies of material you have a license for as long as its for personal use. But when you borrow items form a library you do not have the same license as when you purchase the material. So you do not have the same rights to make copies. I did a search as you suggested and came up with this one article:

Six Bay Area libraries are now allowing their patrons to download audio and e-books.

Palo Alto and six other library systems last week launched a free service, which will let library patrons download hundreds of titles in an online digital library.

Library customers can download the books to their computer, personal digital assistant or their cell phone. Or, users can put an audio version on their MP3 player. Advantages include being able to check them out from the Internet and not having to worry about late fees. After three weeks, the log-in for the book expires.

Notice the last sentence. Why would they bother to expire the download if copying were OK?

Let me give you one other food for thought. Is this the example you want to give to your kids? Do you want them to think that theft is OK as long as you can rationalize it?

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITunes Store [ 2 Answers ]

Last night I decided to take the plunge and buy my first songs from the iTunes music store. Although the process was smooth and there were no problems buying my music... I was extremely dismayed to see that every song I bought was encoded in Apple's protected AAC format at 128kbps! I can't begin...

Lost iTunes [ 2 Answers ]

I own an iPod nano. About 6 months ago, my computer crashed and so my iTunes was deleted. But the memory is still in tact on the iPod. Is there a way to take the files from the iPod and put them on my hard drive?

Can't run itunes from my PC [ 1 Answers ]

I had installed itunes on this PC (actually it's a server) and it was running fine. Now, it won't run. The icons are still on my desktop but nothing happens when I try to open the program. I tried restarting my computer (you know the service guys always tell you to do that.. ) Let me warn...

No more iTunes [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone have a site of free LEGAL musical downloads. If anyone does it would be appreciated very much. iTunes is geeting out of hand. Ive spent over 80 dollars there. Josh

View more questions Search