Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    livewired1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2005, 09:38 AM
    2 rabie shots in one year
    :confused: I just moved from TX to WI and took my Pug in to meet the vet and get any shots he might need. I had my previous vet fax all his paperwork to the new vet. Well, the new vet gave my Pug a rabies shot and after I got home and talked to my boyfriend (who still lives in TX) he informed me that he had his rabies shot in January. Will this harm my Pug?? I am worried sick... My Pug is all I have, he is my life. Will this affect him badly... I thought the new vet would check his papers and when I called them, they said, they could not find his paperwork... HELP ME, Barbi :mad:
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 3, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Several years ago, my mini Dachshund, Pebbles, got two rabies shots in one year without any obvious thing bad happening due to my mistake, not the vet's.

Also, when I took a friend's dog (he was a stray she found) to my vet for shots, the vet told me that unless you know a dog has had it's shot that you assume that he hasn't had them. The little guy was vaccinated against everything, including Rabies and is doing well.

Bottom line: your Pug sweetheart should be fine but watch for signs of illness.

BTW, maybe you should consider getting another vet?!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2005, 02:50 PM
    All shots are a double edged sword. For every shot, needed or not, there is a chance of a bad reaction. They are rare, but do happen. I think a second shot only doubles the risk of the first one. I think the reaction happen fairly quickly, so likely he is in the clear.

You might check Wisconsin law. The vet may not have had the option of waiting to find the paper work. The whole thing sounds stupid to me, but that is exactly what some laws bring. If you do decide to try a different vet, be sure to take all the records, and avoid a third shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabie shot for Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a couple of dogs that I inherited a couple of years ago. They had their rabies shots when given to me. Can anyone tell me how often are dogs suppose to receive these shots?

Question on shots [ 5 Answers ]

I am giving away one of my dogs. Her name is skippy. This dog just showed up on our farm as a stray, and I am not longer able to take care of her, due to being in college and about 3 hrs away. I have had her for a few years, but have not kept her up on her shots. Now the family that I am going to...

Rabie Shots [ 6 Answers ]

When Are Puppies Suppose To Get There First Rabie Shot

Rabie Shot reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my two 4 month old doxies in to the vets today for there 2nd kennel cough shot and their first rabie shot. Since we have gotten home both pups are yelping each time we pick them up, and they have been shaking for 2 hours. Is this normal after these shots, or are they having a reaction, I'm...

Distemper Shots [ 9 Answers ]

I am a new puppy owner & going through the series of shots needed. My pekingese has gotten 1 distemper shot & her rabies shot (on separate days); however, after her distemper she was crazy. It appeared as if she forgot her name & she barly walked around. She was rolling everywhere and flipping...

View more questions Search