Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjg023 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Do I have a winable lawsuit?
    I live in Fort Worth, TX. My home sits on part of the Barnett Shale gas reservior. Gas companies have been drilling around the area for years. Usually in remote fields along the highway or in industrial districts.

However, they now plan to put one behind my neighborhood. It is not more than six hundred feet from my home.

Last year in another local county, one of these drilling wells exploded and destroyed everything around it for more than half a mile. It did'nt burn or knock down buildings and trees around it; it incinerated everything for that distance.

Many experts say the minimum safe distance to be should one of these blow is 2000 ft. The city of Fort Worth is allowing the drilling company to put one of these within 275 ft of my family and property. The city's own ordinance calls for a distance of 600 ft.

My question is " Can I file suit against the city for knowingly endangering me, my family, and property?"

If so; is it likely that I would win the case? Should I go after the drilling company?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Hello pj:

You can file a lawsuit that will require the city to follow its own rules. If you win, the city will have to follow its own rules. You don't get money. Maybe, you'll get your attorney's fees paid for.

The drilling company didn't do anything to you, so there's nothing to sue them for.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
    You need to get several people together and see if you can get an injunction to stop them from drilling due to safety. ** if you can.
    Perhaps some of the environmental groups will help you.

If you can prove that this is not a safe distance, you may be able to stop the drillng.

Of course this is part of the problem with oil prices and drilling, everyone wants to use it, but no one wants the well near them.

Aug 28, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello pj:

You can file a lawsuit that will require the city to follow its own rules. If you win, the city will have to follow its own rules. You don't get money. Maybe, you'll get your attorney's fees paid for.

The drilling company didn't do anything to you, so there's nothing to sue them for.

excon

Hello Ex
    Isn't this kinda like the tabacco industry? The drilling company is going door to door to sign mineral rights and telling everyone that it is perfectly safe! Yes 99% of the time, these wells are safe, however, that 1% thats blows away a half mile of densely populated suberbia could kill hundreds of people.

They don't tell you that.

So why are they not at fault as well? I could see them not being at fault unless something happened. But, even if something does'nt happen, we are not getting the full truth. They are endangering people and not letting them know the risks involved.

I'd say thats wrong

Aug 28, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    You need to get several people together and see if you can get an injunction to stop them from drilling due to safty. ** if you can.
    Perhaps some of the enviormental groups will help you.

If you can prove that this is not a safe distance, you may be able to stop the drillng.

Of course this is part of the problem with oil prices and drilling, everyone wants to use it, but no one wants the well near them.

Hi Chuck,

How many people would I need to get an injunction? Half of the neighborhood is already fighting this.

My question should have been; if we fight it and the well still goes in, and I can prove that it isn't a safe distance away, do I have a case?
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Aug 28, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Get a petition started, get local business owners involved if you can, get a website started for your cause, get as many people to back it as you can. Also, write your congressman. Any one of these would be a good starting point.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 03:50 AM
    You need to check the deeds that are recorded and your own to see if the gas company owns the mineral rights.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pjg023
    So why are they not at fault as well? I'd say thats wrong
    Hello again, pj:

I didn't say they were right. I just said you can't sue them. Well, you can sue them - you just can't win.

If they put in the well and it explodes - THEN you can sue.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawsuit winnings [ 1 Answers ]

I filed a lawsuit for sexual harassment in 2004, I filed for bankruptcy in Feb. 2007. We reached a settlement agreemen on August 10th. When I filed for bankruptcy, I was told that my attorney that was handeling my lawsuit need to fill out some paperwork. I never told my attorney about what the...

How do I answer a lawsuit on my own [ 18 Answers ]

I can't afford an attorney and the landlord has evicted us and is Asking for more money than he is entitled. How do I file an answer With the court to dispute the amount and to ask that the Many hundreds of dollars of improvements we made to the property In the 16 years be applied to the debt?

Fraud Lawsuit [ 3 Answers ]

Our Alberta company has been sued by a Montana company for breach of contract and fraud. We are innocent, but we are afraid that since we are going to a Montana court they may not see things our way. If they get judgement against us how long can they make our lives miserable? How much can they...

Do I have a lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 2nd degree burn at work changing the fryers. I was improperly trained and we are not supposed to change the fryers while there on but they made me I got burned and they continued to make me work. I didn't fill out and accident report until a week later and they offered no medical attention

Lawsuit [ 1 Answers ]

My, now out of business, corporation has been sued by a purveyor and they have obtained a judgement against it. My question is, If the name of the corporation is wrong in the lawsuit, is the judgement binding?

View more questions Search