Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glasscat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Submersible pump doesn't work after power outage
    Hi all,

I have a new 1/2 hp submersible pump. I was using it to pump water out of my small above ground pool. The other day there were some storms about 25 miles away and our power went out. Since the power came back on the pump doesn't work. The ground fault outlet wasn't tripped and the lead cord the pump was plugged into works fine. The float "egg" is not caught on anything, the impeller isn't blocked. It all looks fine, but it doesn't run. It was running perfectly before the power went out. Is it possible that there is a power trip switch on the pump that I cannot see? I don't see anything about this type of situation in the manual.

Thanks so much
    :confused:
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
    It could be that the pump was hit with a surge when the power was turned back on (although, the GFI should have prevented this).

If you have power at the outlet and the pump still isn't working, then the pump is shot.

OTOH, if the float switch is separate from the pump, then it may be that the switch has gone points up.

If the pump and switch are corded separately, try plugging the pump in directly, if it works you can likely get away with replacing just the float switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting submersible pump problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I am having a little trouble with a submersible pump. It pressures up to 28 pounds (it should pressure to 50 pounds) and then it just sets there. Can't seem to get any more pressure but the switch doesn't seem to be doing anything after it reaches the 28 pounds. I have watched it and I can't...

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

Printer Problem - Power Outage [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, The company I work for recently had a power outage and one of our printers has a message on it. The message reads: Load file and execute. The printer is stuck here. I turn it on and off several times, replaced the jetdirect card and changed the memory. None of which helped. Has...

View more questions Search