Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soboman0074 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 10:08 AM
    SSDI and Self Employment
    My SSDI benefit isn't enough to meet my monthly expenses and I need to go to work, but can't afford to lose my benefit and insurance. Is there a way that I can either become self employed or go to work for someone else on a 1099-MISC basis?
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 05:40 PM
    You can have a job if you make under $800.00 per month (that is actually lower than what the real amount is) and the work environment is sheltered and you do not work outside of your doctor's restrictions. You will, however, run the risk of losing your benefits at some point. YOU MUST ALWAYS REPORT ANY EARNINGS, WHETHER IT IS FROM SELF EMPLOYMENT OR A REGULAR JOB TO SSA.
    whirlwind_woman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
    I work with Adults with Developmental Disabilties. 99% of them are on SSDI. 45% of them work in a sheltered workshop. 50% of those who work earn approximately $230 every two weeks. They also collect somewhere between $500 - $650 per mo in SSDI. So it would come close to what kayakinggirl mentioned about topping out at $800.00 per month. These individuals do not loose their benefits/insurance so long as they do not allow their bank accounts to accumulate more than $2000.00 at any time. There are times when this does occur and we have to "spend down" immediately so that they do not loose their medical insurance. That's usually when large purchases are made, such as TVs, washing machines, other appliances or expensive trips! Etc etc.
    Should we not meet the spend down deadline and they loose their insurance, it can be reappylied for and reinstated within 6 weeks or sometimes less.
    Most of the people I work for also have Section 8 housing so it usually doesn't take that long to hit the $2000.00 mark in their bank accounts. We're out shopping at least once per year for something expensive.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 06:08 PM
    1099, or self employment is still earnings, and would have to be reported, to not report could be considered fraud and you could lose all benefits for that reason.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Oct 8, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Again, as always, when it comes to the federal government, big brother is watching you... please be careful with what you do and any money that you earn on a 1099 basis must be reported and taxes MUST be paid. You can get in trouble not just with SSa, but with the IRS as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSDI and spousal support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I know I don't have to pay taxes on my SSDI (social security disability) but do I have to pay taxes on spousal support. Here in Indianapolis, we don't have alimony. But my future ex-husband has to pay me spousal support because I am on SSDI. Thanks Shirley

Please help ssdi ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have written a couple questions about social security I have one more question if you don't care. I called ssa and asked about my claim last week they told me it went from Baltimore Maryland to pittsburg does anybody know why they sent it to pittsburg. Is that were they issue checks that the...

Ssi and ssdi [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if a privet person sue you when you are on ssi and ssdi thank you

Ssi&ssdi [ 2 Answers ]

I like to know if you are on ssiand ssdi can some one sue you and to hold are checks thank you

View more questions Search