Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikepeta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network
    Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no connectivity. Now the weird part, it shuts down my wireless network. I am still connected excellent to my router and all the lights are blinking on the modem, but no connection. Every time I turned on wireless lan on my buddies laptop, it would shut down my network and would have to reboot cable moden and router before I got back online with my laptop. I scanned the computer with adaware 2007 and avg and found two trojans, I also updated drivers for the network cards, still no dice. Please help this is just two frustrating
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 29, 2007, 11:42 AM
    I had a similar problem with my desktop, thought it was wired. I had a torrent client running (nothing illegal about that, I DO use it to download linux distros, which are free and legal. Yay for torrents.), and when I booted the desktop, it started. It connected to so many peers that it physically crashed my DSL modem. Could it be something like that?

You also might try plugging it in to the wired part of your network, and leave the wireless off. It *may* have some other malware on it, that floods the network. If networks get flooded enough, some of the devices will just give up and shut down. That may be what's happening.
    techyagent Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Spacefie OS he is using on the laptop:

First of all make sure you are not using same static ip address on both computers.If that is static than use Dynamic ip address on both of them.
    Check the firewall on his laptop,If he has any external firewall disable that and try again.
    Check the router if the acess control is on turn that of.
    Try that might help,
    pumpkinslion Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 12:13 AM

Please help me with wireless issues,cannot connect to internet,says 1 or more network connections available then when I go to internet explorer [webpage cannot be displayed,working offline,please help, use dell wireless wlan 1350 [xp,dell inspiron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dell laptop and I have to dial-up but I would like to know how do I get it to be wireless

PC to laptop wireless [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a laptop with wireless capabilities ( HP winxp) and would like to set up a wireless connection with my PC ( winXP). I bought and installed a wireless DSL gateway( ActionTec) which I've installed and set up on my PC. However my laptop is not receiving any signal ( or so it seems). ...

Wireless Network [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a wireless enabled laptop and I purchased a Netgear router which came with a free adaptor (which I shouldn't need). I configured the router but cannot get my laptop to access wireless without using the adaptor. The laptop is definitely wireless enabled and I have checked for on/off...

Wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

How do you set up a wireless card

Wireless for laptop [ 5 Answers ]

I have a laptop computer with an available slot for a pc card. I plan to go DSL on my desktop which will have a router. What type of card do I need for my laptop? An ethernet card? Network card? Also, I've been told that this card needs to be removed each time I shutdown the computer. Is this...

View more questions Search